Something for Joerg, maybe

[snip]

Obviously I need external capacitors to make significant power, though gate drive for an LDO doesn't need much capacitance.

Yep that can be done... how do you think SSR's work...

...Jim Thompson

LTC.

We've done things like that, 2N7002's driving an ISND transformer for isolated power, with slow gate drive to keep the spikes down. But transformers have winding capacitance, and the freq has to be high to keep the size down.

The real problem with isolated dc power is induced common-mode noise.

John