Transferring cell phone pictures on Motorola W376G

I just sent this technical request to TracFone:

"I just purchased and activated a Motorola W376g phone which advertised Bluetooth wireless technology as a highlighted feature on the front of the package. It also featured a connector that was clearly labeled with the official USB connecton logo, and I had assumed it was available for USB connection to my PC."

"However, upon further research, I found that (in very fine print) that this phone does not support PC connectivity via Bluetooth or USB. I had assumed that I could download pictures taken on my phone to my PC, but there appears to be no way to do so. I can send the picture to another phone, but I do not know how that is done or the requirements for the receiving phone. There appears to be web access, but I do not know if there is a way to upload images to a website via FTP or HTTP protocol."

"Please let me know if there is any way to transfer images from the phone to an external storage device or PC. If not, please let me know if you offer any phones that support this feature. I am happy with the phone but it is important to me to be able to have access to pictures."

There is a feature that allows sending a message with the picture, but I tried sending it to my land line phone and it did not ring. I was hoping that maybe it would send the JPG in a text-based MIME or Base-64 format that I might be able to receive as a file on a modem and then convert to JPG, but apparently it only works for cell phone subscribers with the capability of receiving multimedia objects. The picture is stored in an internal "additional storage device".

Apparently the USB-PC feature is disabled and the BlueTooth is only for automotive hands-free connection. I was hoping to be able to use this phone as a digital camera and save pictures as files to be edited and used for other purposes, but Tracfone probably does not want customers to have this capability in a $50 phone where they make most of their money selling air time.

I wonder if I could take a picture of the cell phone screen? Or use a scanner? But I'm sure the resolution will be rather poor. Any ideas on a way to get the images electronically?

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

Hi Paul,

looks like a basic phone. It supports MMS, this is the way you send a photo to another phone. The manual also mentions "format additional storage device" - does that mean it has an external flash card? If so that may be another way of getting the photos off the phone.

Ian

Reply to
IanM

I received the following very helpful message from TracFone:

Picture messages can be sent to an email address. To send a picture message, please follow the steps below:

  1. Please press the MESSAGE key which is located to the right of the navigation keys.
  2. "Create" should be highlighted on your phone screen display. Now press the key below the word SELECT.
  3. Go to "MMS Templates" and press the SELECT key.
  4. Go to the desired Option and press the SELECT key.
  5. The Image should be displayed on screen. Now press the OK key.
  6. "One Time Entry" should be highlighted. Press the SELECT key.
  7. Enter your email address and then press the OK key.
  8. Press the key below the word SEND.

I was able to save the image from the email, process it with PhotoImpression, and it turned out fairly good after some brightness and contrast adjustment. Considering that it was taken at close range in ambient light, I was happy with the results. I had purchased the phone as a replacement for the V170 I thought I had lost, but now I found it and was considering returning this phone. But it is a lot nicer and the camera feature makes it well worth the $50 I paid for it.

The Bluetooth features are still being tested. Maybe they will allow direct transfer to a computer?

Thanks,

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

How much do they charge per image-attachment email?

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

It cost something like 1 or 2 units (minutes). This was a small image (about 25kB). I don't use the phone very much, and I usually purchase about

400 minutes and one year of service once a year for about $100. My new phone has double minutes. It's a pretty good deal to have a cell phone for about $8 a month. And I have good service at my house where other people have had problems getting a connection. I have heard this is often more due to the sensitivity of the phone itself, rather than "the network". Motorola seems pretty good.

Paul

Reply to
Paul E. Schoen

I do have the same problem with my phne which also has a USB connection.

Did you get a CD with the Phone? Install the Motorola Phone Tools and then the Phone and PC can work together.

HTH

--
Thanks for your time

Ardent