So Long As We Are Showing Off Our Labs ...

When we moved out of San Diego 35 years ago to Northern California, there were only three criteria ...

  1. It had to be within walking/skiing distance of the airport
  2. It had to have regular, reliable UPS service
  3. It had to be at the end of a long country gravel road.

  1. The airport is at the top of the image; our hangar is left of the center of the runway, first long row of horizontal buildings.

  1. UPS is in one of those long vertical buildings at the left edge of the industrial park.

  2. The gravel road comes vertically up from the curvy road going horizontally across the bottom third of the image, up the hill about a quarter of a mile, and terminates just to the right of the green arrow point.

Zoom in. The lab is that little L-shaped building to the left of the green arrow. The house is due south by a tad east of the lab. My commute to work in the morning is 0.02 miles if I choose to cut through the orchard or 0.06 miles if I choose to take the path around.

Jim

--
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who count in binary and those who don\'t

Mine is (under the arrow) at...

Objects... Isolation/quiet due to hilly terrain, yet access to groceries, restaurants, post office, FedEx drop within minutes.

Pecos Road is the dividing line to the Gila River Indian Community... south of that road there is nothing but raw Sonoran Desert.

5.5 miles east on Pecos (4-lane-divided boulevard) connects to I10.

My commute to work is around 120'... walk 60' from bedroom to kitchen, pour coffee, walk another 60' to office ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Got you beat there: My commute is about 15 millimiles :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Yeah, there are a few things that came along with this place, too.

I-80 is about ten minutes south on a state highway.

Five miles east of here is the Tahoe National Forest that goes all the way to the summit of the Sierra.

We are the highest point for five miles in any direction. A bitch for thunderstorms but an antenna tower you can't beat; the 3000' MSL contour goes right through the back yard.

Now tell me, when I loaded that map this afternoon, the green arrow was spot on the property. Now it is a couple of hundred feet south of where it should be. Does Google maps change that much in a couple of hours?

Jim

-- There are only 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who count in binary and those who don't

RST Engineering (jw)

Actually, mine is just about 160 millifurlongs.

Google maps is goofy. WHen I posted the link this afternoon, that green arrow was spot on the correct location. Now it has moved about a thousand feet south. It was a hundred feet south when I answered Jim T. about half an hour ago.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

The arrow is never right on my property, almost always substantially south of it.

Had a conflict with ADOR about a tax credit for solar. Used Google Earth to show the panels WERE actually on my roof... they withdrew the audit even though the arrow was off ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I bet your EMI situation is better than ours. We're practically in the shadow of Sutro Tower (22 megawatts of FM/TV/HDTV) and not far from heaps of AM stations... in a wooden building! But we don't get lightning here.

John

Look just west of the runway centerline. We've certified this as an FCC type acceptance & certification antenna pattern range. It is the airport over-run area that hasn't been used "in anger" in fifty years. The nearest EMI is a 5 kW broadcast band transmitter two miles from the site. It is nearly as "clean" a site as you can find in Northern California. The pattern range is weeds and rocks as far as you can see in any direction, with some scrub trees half a mile away.

We've agreed that we will make our antenna structures and our equipment stands "break-out" so that if we are doing a test and an aircraft loses it and tries to settle into the over run that all of our structures will collapse under an aircraft's emergency requirements. Not a problem if you make all your antenna structures out of PVC Schedule 40 with twine guy "wires".

Jim

--
There are only 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who count in binary and those who don\'t

> I bet your EMI situation is better than ours. We\'re practically in the
> shadow of Sutro Tower (22 megawatts of FM/TV/HDTV) and not far from
> heaps of AM stations... in a wooden building! But we don\'t get
> lightning here.
Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

So I guess one of your interview question would be: "How fast can you run 200 yards?" If one of the new personal jets loses it that might be a good thing to know.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

way

22 megawatts of FM/TV/HDTV !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you get RF burns from odd shaped metal objects in that area?

And I thought a 2.2 MW tower would be impressive. I bet you could make a reasonably sized loop antenna actually light up a incandescent light bulb!

I hope you like what they broadcast, since you may not receive much from anywhere else!

Reply to
Jeff L