SMD thick film resistors with exposed film path?

I've been searching high and low but have yet to find a manufacturer of flat SMD thick film resistors that either seals them in a clear coating or alternatively simply reveals the etch pattern via easily obtainable documentation.

So, before I go to pestering some maunufacturers for such data, I thought I'd ask here in SED in the hopes that someone might already have a line on such animals.

Thanks in advance Dave Moore

Reply to
Dave Moore

Try googling "trimmable thick-film resistor"

John

Oh, the "etch pattern" on most such resistors is a uniform film with a tiny laser-trim slit. The only really structured resistors I've seen, with a serpentine pattern, were some 150 megohm things.

John

: > So, before I go to pestering some maunufacturers : >for such data, I thought I'd ask here in SED in the : >hopes that someone might already have a line on : >such animals. : >

: >

: >Thanks in advance : >Dave Moore : >

: >

: : Oh, the "etch pattern" on most such resistors is a uniform film with a : tiny laser-trim slit. The only really structured resistors I've seen, : with a serpentine pattern, were some 150 megohm things. : : John

Would the slit be perpendicular to the trace?

Thanks for the info. A lot of the thick film depictions I've seen seem to imply that they are uniform, which is why my inquiry was about thick film devices as a uniform film better serves my purpose.

However I wasn't entirely convinced about the accuracy of some of the thick film drawings being that I had recently acquired some TaN chips which I thought ( due to a graphical depiction) were *uniform film* types only later to stumble on more detailed and revealing depictions which showed that they were actually serpentine: But of course these were thin film devices.

Thanks for making me feel better about taking the thick film depictions verbatim.

Thanks again Dave Moore

Reply to
Dave Moore

It's usually an L shape. It comes in from one side, sorta midway between the end caps, perpendicular to the length of the resistor, cuts in a ways, then turns 90 degrees and runs some more. The first part is the coarse trim and the dogleg is the fine.

Some thinfilms can be more limited on ohms/square than thickfilms, so they may have to do serpentines to get higher ohms. The Vishay metal foil resistors have very low ohms/sq material, and they tend to have very complex etch patterns with a lot of cuttable link options.

John

On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 07:08:16 -0800, John Larkin Gave us:

Take the path of least resistance.

Reply to
JoeBloe