Uniform film TaN SMD resistors ?

I've been looking high and low for some Tantalum Nitride SMD resistors that are made with a uniformly coated film such as many trimmable thick film resistors are made.

So far, all of the TaN types I've happened upon have been thin film types which feature etched serpentine patterns instead of my requirement for a uniform deposition of resistance material over the entire face of the SMD,

I don't really care if the type is thin or thick, only that it's TaN and meet's the aforemention uniformity requirement.

I doubt any mfgr's make anything like this stock, but I have to ask. Has anyone seen animals such as these stock off the shelf?

Thanks, Dave Moore

P.S. Thanks John for steering me to the "trimmable" category. Unfortunately I haven't yet found any trimmable types made with TaN

Reply to
Dave Moore

Why TaN?

I'd guess that some of the low-value parts might be a uniform film. You might look at resistors in the 100 ohm and less range.

John

Just to be absobarstardly stupid.......

Dennis Moore Dennis Moore Riding through the Glenn.....

Cough.

'I have a cunning plan' 'Yes, yes, yes. Just put the lupins down' 'Errr OK, if the manufacturers put spirally things upon them then there must have been a time before they put the spirally things upon them' 'Brilliant, and before I slap you about the head?' 'I thought we might ask them for some from before the time before they put the spirally things on them' 'Great, well there are two problems here' 'Yes Sir?' 'Oh God, it's just too much like hard work.......

SLAP SLAP SLAP SLAP'

DNA

Reply to
Genome

: > So far, all of the TaN types I've happened upon have : > been thin film types which feature etched serpentine : > patterns instead of my requirement for a uniform : > deposition of resistance material over the entire face : > of the SMD, : >

: > I don't really care if the type is thin or thick, only : > that it's TaN and meet's the aforemention uniformity : > requirement. : >

: > I doubt any mfgr's make anything like this stock, but : > I have to ask. Has anyone seen animals such as these : > stock off the shelf? : >

: > Thanks, : > Dave Moore : >

: > P.S. Thanks John for steering me to the "trimmable" category. : > Unfortunately I haven't yet found any trimmable types made : > with TaN : >

: >

: : Just to be absobarstardly stupid....... : : Dennis Moore : Dennis Moore : Riding through the Glenn..... : :

: : Cough. : : 'I have a cunning plan' : 'Yes, yes, yes. Just put the lupins down' : 'Errr OK, if the manufacturers put spirally things upon them then there must : have been a time before they put the spirally things upon them' : 'Brilliant, and before I slap you about the head?' : 'I thought we might ask them for some from before the time before they put : the spirally things on them' : 'Great, well there are two problems here' : 'Yes Sir?' : 'Oh God, it's just too much like hard work....... : : SLAP SLAP SLAP SLAP' : : DNA

OUCH! OUCH! OUCH! OUCH!

Yeah, I already thought about trying to get some before they're etched. Just figgered to exhaust other possibilities before going to that extent.

Reply to
Dave Moore

: > So far, all of the TaN types I've happened upon have : >been thin film types which feature etched serpentine : >patterns instead of my requirement for a uniform : >deposition of resistance material over the entire face : >of the SMD, : >

: > I don't really care if the type is thin or thick, only : >that it's TaN and meet's the aforemention uniformity : >requirement. : >

: >I doubt any mfgr's make anything like this stock, but : >I have to ask. Has anyone seen animals such as these : >stock off the shelf? : >

: >Thanks, : >Dave Moore : >

: >P.S. Thanks John for steering me to the "trimmable" category. : >Unfortunately I haven't yet found any trimmable types made : >with TaN : >

: : Why TaN?

It's a rather novel circuit that I bumbled upon which necessitates tapping into to different points on a uniform resistive material. I'm interested in seeing if the circuit will also work with TaN or whether it only functions due to some unique properties of NiCr.

: I'd guess that some of the low-value parts might be a uniform film. : You might look at resistors in the 100 ohm and less range. : : John

Thanks, but unfortunately I need 1K and up.

Reply to
Dave Moore

If you want a big piece of resistive sheet, you could try those black anti-static bags that Farnell sends parts in. I have been trying to think of another use for those for years now. You could make a pot or a graphics tablet sort of 2D-pot thing. One thing I have observed about those bags is that the material seem to be made from a sandwich structure composed of two resistive layers with an insulating layer in between.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Jones

: > "John Larkin" wrote in : > message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... : > : On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 03:57:15 -0600, "Dave Moore" : > : wrote: : > : : > : > I've been looking high and low for some Tantalum Nitride : > : >SMD resistors that are made with a uniformly coated film : > : >such as many trimmable thick film resistors are made. : > : >

: > : > So far, all of the TaN types I've happened upon have : > : >been thin film types which feature etched serpentine : > : >patterns instead of my requirement for a uniform : > : >deposition of resistance material over the entire face : > : >of the SMD, : > : >

: > : > I don't really care if the type is thin or thick, only : > : >that it's TaN and meet's the aforemention uniformity : > : >requirement. : > : >

: > : >I doubt any mfgr's make anything like this stock, but : > : >I have to ask. Has anyone seen animals such as these : > : >stock off the shelf? : > : >

: > : >Thanks, : > : >Dave Moore : > : >

: > : >P.S. Thanks John for steering me to the "trimmable" category. : > : >Unfortunately I haven't yet found any trimmable types made : > : >with TaN : > : >

: > : : > : Why TaN? : >

: > It's a rather novel circuit that I bumbled upon which : > necessitates tapping into to different points on a uniform : > resistive material. : > I'm interested in seeing if the circuit will also work with TaN : > or whether it only functions due to some unique properties : > of NiCr. : : If you want a big piece of resistive sheet, you could try those black : anti-static bags that Farnell sends parts in. I have been trying to think : of another use for those for years now. You could make a pot or a graphics : tablet sort of 2D-pot thing. One thing I have observed about those bags is : that the material seem to be made from a sandwich structure composed of two : resistive layers with an insulating layer in between. : : Chris

Actually, I need very small, hence the interest in SMD's. But thanks for the tip. Should I bumble upon a use for the Farnell bags I'll let u know :-) er, providing it isn't a million dollar idear.

Reply to
Dave Moore