Film Capacitor Shapes

Are the box film capacitors stacked layers? And... Are the roundish candy looking film capacitors rolled up film?

If so, can I generalize that the box film caps have less inductance?

Reply to
D from BC

"D from BC"

** Some are - some are not.

The datasheet will tell anyone who can read.

Leaves you out - pal.

** Generally - yes.
** Massively stupid false conclusion.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Crack one open some day. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to see a rolled up bundle inside both. Unless it specifically says stacked, I don't think that's something you can assume.

It doesn't make much difference, as far as I know. These days, they're all noninductive contruction, metal spray on each end connects pretty much the whole electrode at once.

On the other hand, I recall reading some WIMA caps (FKP4 or something?) are made with multiple wound units in one package.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

"Tim Williams"

** Wrong:

See " Internal construction " diagram.

There is a "floating" metallised layer *inside* the cap making it a " two in series " type - like the vast majority of Class X mains caps.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Huh?? Are not two (caps) in series the same thing as "multiple wound units in one package"? That is to say, doesn't TWO belong to the set MULTIPLE?

Reply to
Robert Baer

** Not the sharpest tool in the box - are you ?

** The construction of the cap in question is neither of the above.

And my post makes that very clear.

** You must have two heads.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

  1. Ignore Phil. Period. Really.
  2. I meant individual (wound) units in parallel. Though, I do have some
1600V film caps that look an awful lot like two caps in series -- the extra-long package is slightly thinner in the middle. I'm not sure if that's due to it being constructed from two seperate units, full metal spray inbetween, or if they wrapped three electrodes together, WIMA style.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

ah... :)

Often when I suspect a goofy belief, I post it..

Reply to
D from BC

There are differences. Partially, this comes from a shorter effective lead length, and increased body occupation of immediate board surface proximity.

There are articles studying the effect of stack and body orientation with respect to board surface and direction of current flow on the pcb: stack vertical plane vs horizontal: lead transverse vs longitudinal.

This was important when evaluating oddly shaped products like 'capsticks', or in product comparisons to monolithic ceramics: also in justifying smd troubles associated with film parts in reflow operations.

Research, before forming generalizations.

RL

Reply to
legg

Got it.. It's a juggle of lead lengths + body length loop size.

Yeah.. that was big brain glitch.. Not everything rolled up is inductive.. I tell yeah. It's the lead!

Reply to
D from BC

It's important to be aware of physical limitations in component selection. Although configurations with three or four leads might be purchased for effectiveness in some roles, intentionally or otherwise, it's usually simpler just to make sure that intended effects exceed those of parasitics in the frequency band of interest by arranging extra parts to create the same effect. Anything 'special' usually knocks parts outside the budget range.

Features offered or suggested by coaxial construction are justified only in very rare applications, but make interesting reading.

Don't expect one part to do everything.

RL

Reply to
legg

Not really, all the layers or all the "turns" are edge connected to a=20 conductive plane at the end of the capacitor. Same as MLC.

Reply to
JosephKK

something?)=20

in=20

some=20

spray=20

I must disagree about Phil A. He does occasionally post useful stuff, = like=20 the class X capacitor thing. It is real disappointment that he cannot = stand=20 any disagreement let alone disrespect. He would do himself a great favor= by=20 not using unwelcome "street shit" language so much.

Reply to
JosephKK

"JosephKK TROLL "

I must disagree about Phil A. He does occasionally post useful stuff,

** TROLLING fuckwits like YOU are no judges of what is or is not a useful post.

All YOU ever do is post UTTER DRIVEL into threads that are long ago finished.

like the class X capacitor thing.

** Still a deep mystery to posturing jerk offs like YOU !!!

It is real disappointment that he cannot stand any disagreement let alone disrespect.

** Ignorant PRICKS like YOU ruin usenet for everyone else.

You have WRONG opinions on everything that have no need whatever to be posted.

But being the narcissistic PRICK that you are - you cannot resist posting every single one of them.

FOAD, ASAP.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

That's fine. Phil A was more nearly civil than usual. Just the same=20 he is correct this time.

Reply to
JosephKK

inductance?

You are still way too quickly overgeneralising.

Reply to
JosephKK

I'll try to put a damper on generalizing in future posts.

Reply to
D from BC

Yup..

Reply to