Precision metal film resistors

What is the difference between 0.1% and 1% metal film resistors ? Are the higher precision parts made from a different process ? Or cherry picked from a big batch of 1% ? Just curious.

-- André Majorel (Counterfeit: snipped-for-privacy@uninominal.com snipped-for-privacy@abrell.satisfactionworld.com) "I drink, I smoke, I gamble, I chase girls--but postal chess is one vice I don't have." -- Mikhail Tal

Reply to
Andre Majorel

Different process looking at some here. They are physically different in construction and finish.

We use 1% or 2% MFR generally, having ditched CFR a few years back. We have a few stock 1% for special needs.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

I think most are laser etch trimmed to .1%.

Reply to
Mook Johnson

Different process, at least in most cases. Compare tempco, load life and other stability figures to see. A 1% resistor that happens to be within 0.1% will usually not have the stability that many designers are looking for.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Thanks everyone that was informative. I had noticed the lower tempcos but not the other parameters.

--
André Majorel
(Counterfeit: ydanof@coax.org inafyx@mathews.com)