Smallest Transistor - 7 atoms across

Not seen mention of this here yet but the first electronic switch transistor built by moving atoms around is now just 7 atoms across. Makes you wonder how they do the phosphorus doping!

You have to love the journalists mention of the single silicone (sic) crystal used as the foundation.

A slightly less garbled version is online at UNSW website.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

I read the story on the BBC website, somewhere it was saying they were doing it under a scanning microscope manually (!!!). How can this be done I have no idea but then if it were that easy everyone would be doing it, I guess :-) .

Dimiter

Reply to
Didi

That's probably super radiation sensitive. One wee cosmic ray ... PHUT ... "Please contact your IT department" ... then the IT guy comes with a bucket of atoms and molecules, all nicely sorted into little plastic bins, and inserts the one that had vaporized :-)

A boob job on a transistor? This I've got to see :-)

Got a security warning and shutdown on that one for some reason.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Quantum computing will be hairy for the foreseeable future, but this is really a big step forward in miniaturisation even if there is no realistic prospect of it ever being production line stuff.

I blame the spell checkers. The words are more or less identical to the university press release apart from "silicone".

Weird. It is a genuine site and there is a nice STEM micrograph of the thing with the atoms all visible including on the bondout wires. Looks a bit like a space invader ;-)

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Traditionally, bit buckets were for electrons..

Reply to
Robert Baer

A bit of a pain soldering it to a PCB...

--
Dirk

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax