Caps needed across LM7805?

In a lot of circuit diagrams I've seen caps used across the LM7805. A typical design would be:

  • 2.2 mF cap across the input
  • 100 nF cap across the output

I'd like to ask whether people here use caps across the LM7805, whether you think they're necessary, and what cap values you use?

Reply to
Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

Short answer, yes.

Longer answer, check national.com, find out that the LM7805 is discontinued, use LM340 instead, read it's datasheet and app notes and follow them.

If you are serious about doing stand-up engineering, your first stop is *always* the datasheet. If the datasheet says to use caps, use them. You'll never get in trouble for using parts the datasheet recommends. OTOH, omitting them and causing a high product failure rate is seriously unacceptable.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Mostly yes, but not always. I can't count how many times datasheets recommended to splinter up the ground plane under an ADC or some other part. The design engineers followed the advice, a layout was done, the noise performance was horrible and then he stood there with egg in the face. Not that I am complaining because I derive a good chunk of my income from cases like that ;-)

Tomas, regulators need caps for good performance. However, be very, very careful when you see the words "low dropout" or LDO in a datasheet. Run away, fast. If you absolutely have to use the part pay very close attention to the ESR requirements for the output cap or the thing will sing like a bird and possibly blow up anything downstream or itself. If there is no compelling reason to use an LDO then don't use one. The 7805 is safe but, as Jim said, it's a bit long in the tooth. The LM317 is the jelly-bean regulator du jour. You need two resistors to set the voltage but it's easy. If you want to be extra good give it a 10uF at the adjust pin for really good ripple rejection. But as Jim wrote, read the datasheet first.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I know you mean 2.2 microfarads here, but the m suffix literally means milli, not what you wanted to say. You should write that as 2.2 uF, with the u being a crude representation of the Greek lower-case letter mu, meaning micro.

In addition to the other posters' suggestions, read Bob Pease's book "Troubleshooting Analog Circuits." In it he specifically talks about using caps around one of the National regulators, I forget if it's the 7805 or the LM317, but he warns against using a tantalum for the output because the regulators weren't designed with that low an ESR cap in mind.

Reply to
Ben Bradley

Thanks for the explanation Ben, but I learned off the prefixes a couple of years ago. I got the value of 2.2 millifarads from the following diagram:

Tomás Ó hÉilidhe

I haven't worked on anything mundane enough to need an xx7895, but my impression is that they've turned into jelly-bean parts, with various versions available from various places.

Am I incorrect?

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott

Yes, correct, it's old but not discontinued. You can buy the LM7805 from Digikey, plenty in stock (LM7805CT-ND). $0.13 if you buy 1k. I prefer the LM317 though, less part variety in the BOM since you can adjust the voltage and also very cheap.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Given the context, do you mean xx7805 ?

If so, then yes, you are correct, I consider them to be commodity items which are freely available from multiple vendors, both in LDO and low cost (but higher supply voltage required, say 9V) variants.

Note (in case it makes a difference) that I'm speaking as a hobbyist here.

Was there a time when these were not commodity items, and if so, how long ago was that (I'm just curious) ?

Simon.

Microsoft: Bringing you 1980's technology to a 21st century world
Reply to
Simon Clubley

I'd say about 30 years. Back then I used some other regulator in a TO-3 can, forgot the part number but it was obsoleted after the 7805 came out.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Maybe 1975, give or take, they were shiny and new. Now they are like the LM324-- good reliable jellybean parts, available from many vendors, that just work.

These days, when they're appropriate, I prefer the 78M05 (SMT) since nobody in their right mind uses that kind of linear regulator at the high current end. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Agreed. Been there, done that too.

In the 30+ years I've been designing circuits, I can also recall 3 times that chip behavior was either broken enough or significantly different enough from datasheet behavior that I had to do a major redesign.

OTOH, the OP should get into the habit of studying the datasheet before asking usenet questions.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

The large cap in the circuit is to reduce the ripple of the AC rectifying circuit before it. It is not there specifically for the LM7805.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

IME, as a very minimum, some capacitance on the output is essential for stability - I usually use at least 10uf. I have seen the outputs of these misbehave in the absence of an output cap.

Bear in mind that there are lots of vendors of this part, and different makes may behave differently if you omit the caps, so if one works, that doesn't necessarily mean others will.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

You've said this before, and I have been wondering: What is it about an LDO that is so bad? How is it different from a linear regulator? Are all LDO's IC design similar?

I have been using an LT1117 as just another linear regulator, but it sounds like this is a bad idea...

Alan Nishioka snipped-for-privacy@nishioka.com

Reply to
Alan Nishioka

The output capacitor is definitively needed for stability as others have noted and the input capacitor may be needed, if there is a great distance to the main reservoir capacitor.

In the old days I tried to use a 7824 from a 35-40 V supply with a bulky high power resistor in front of it to dissipate most of the voltage drop, I had to add an electrolytic capacitor between the resistor and the 7824 to make it stable.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Keinanen

Thanks everyone.

I've never known a time when these things weren't commodity items, so I wasn't aware of how old the part number was.

Simon.

Microsoft: Bringing you 1980's technology to a 21st century world
Reply to
Simon Clubley

Most of them are only stable if the ESR of the output capacitor falls into a certain range. To add insult to injury the vendors often only state typical data, no guaranteed ranges. Not good IMHO.

So just imagine: You do a design, writing all this into the module spec. Another company lures you away, your old one hires a young lad fresh out of academia. Purchasing tells him taht this one capacitor is unobtanium or too expensive. So he finds a "better" one, much lower ESR. Phssst ...

*BANG*.

There are more stable designs, touted as "AnyCap" and so on. But there you pay a premium for a performance that was normal in the days of ordinary regulators.

I don't know that one since I do not use LDO. If there ain't enough headroom for a regular version I use a switcher concept.

Take a few LDOs and read the section "Output Capacitor" in their data sheet. Chances are you find words such as "should" or "might". Many read like the disclaimer in a financial statement. If it blows up don't sue us :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

In message , Tomás Ó hÉilidhe writes

Very necessary, they oscillate really well at around 55MHz IIRC if you don't fit them. Best advice? Read the datasheets, really, they will tell you what you need to do to get the best from the devices.

--
Clint Sharp
Reply to

These caps are required to remove jitter across the IC.Even without tha circuit works..but wid slight noise.

Reply to
kittykgl

The graph showing min/max capacitance value for >0 phase margin vs. load current bears the colorful moniker "Tunnel of Death". You would typically want to navigate the tunnel of death near the center rather than too near the lethal edges.

Also, some older datasheets were written before extremely low-ESR relatively large value ceramic caps were popularly available so they fail to mention the negative effects of too-good caps, since few had ever seen a 10uF ceramic cap.

For the engineering inclined, here's a brief primer on LDOs and ESR: