Simulate a VGA monitor connected to a computer?

Apparently different video drivers are loaded depending on if a monitor is connected or not. This is the case when connecting via VNC to a "headless" Mac Mini.

Using just a Mini-DVI-to-VGA adapter won't load another driver.

Is there a way to emulate a monitor connection?

Is this a case of I^2C communication? Any simpler method?

Thanks. N.

Reply to
notme

I think so. I can't get VGA from my laptop without I2C... when I try forcing it, Windows drops the data line (request, I suppose) for about 1ms, then it fails, not detecting anything. And I so wanted to get raw RGB+sync signals at the time... guess I won't be doing that, at least without something I2C on the line (EEPROM? uC?).

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Its a *long* time since I was digging around inside monitors but IIRC to fake one you'll need a 24C02 I2C EEPROM programmed with suitable VESA EDID data *AND* 75 ohm resistors to ground on the R B and G lines. Probably easiest to rob a dead CRT monitor for the EEPROM if this is a one off project. Otherwise you'll need to research VESA DDC2B and EDID.

--
Ian Malcolm.   London, ENGLAND.  (NEWSGROUP REPLY PREFERRED)
[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & >32K emails --> NUL:

What problem are you trying to solve?

filter. Due to Google\'s refusal to prevent spammers from posting

JR
Reply to
Jolly Roger

When VNC'ing into a Mac Mini (Mini has 10.5.7), I cannot see data in Apple Numbers spreadsheets. They appear blank (all menus work, all features of the spreadsheet function -- there's just no data displayed). The spreadsheet prints and shows the data OK.

The author of the VNC client tells me that it's probably because of the default display driver. He suggests plugging in a monitor or emulating one. I am moving house and have nothing (my monitors and most everything else is

2000 miles away) other than the Mini and an old PowerBook G3/400 (w/ 10.4.11) that I'm using for the VNC client.

I tried another "brand" of VNC client with the same results.

I tried changing numbers of colors and display resolution with no results.

not

Reply to
notme

A Mini-DVI to DVI adapter

followed by a DVI Detective might do it.

Reply to
Malcolm

Yow! $80. Hmm...

Well, if I can't find a simpler way, I'll look into this.

Thanks.

Dave

Reply to
notme

The DVI-to-Video adaptor is only $20, and I'm guessing it doesn't need to query a TV to provide the composite signal.

--
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, localhost, googlegroups.com, ono.com,
    and probably your server, too.

All other applications display their content just fine?

I'm not convinced this is a video driver issue from your description. Typically video problems associated with drivers don't show up in only one or two applications.

Have you tried opening the spreadsheet in a brand-new Mac OS X user account to see if the problem is local to that user account?

Have you tried placing the spreadsheet on another computer that you can access remotely with VNC to see if perhaps the problem is local to the Mac mini?

I would be extremely interested in seeing a screen shot so that I know exactly what you are describing is what I imagine from your description. Can you post a screen shot of it to

and post the URL here?

filter. Due to Google\'s refusal to prevent spammers from posting

JR
Reply to
Jolly Roger

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 08:39:21 -0700, Doc O'Leary wrote (in article ):

Good idea. Any favorite makes / models?

Thanks.

Reply to
notme

Spreadsheet appears identical regardless what user opens it on this Mini via VNC.

No other computers available. I'm moving house and all my tools & stuff is

2000 miles away.

I can access all menus and buttons on the window. Note the term "Rent" in the edit field just below the Format Bar. This shows the content of the current cell, and changes as I use the arrow keys to scroll around the (invisible) cells of the spreadsheet, so I know the data exists.

Printing works as it should and shows a normal spreadsheet populated with data.

Thanks.

Reply to
notme

That's a pretty interesting way for Numbers to fail, and I'm wondering if it is using Quartz in some way that VNC isn't supporting.

Which VNC server and client are you using? Have you tried different clients? (Not sure if you can run a different VNC server...)

If you've got Xcode installed, can you run /Developer/Applications/Graphics Tools/Quartz Debug.app and play with the Disable Quartz Extreme/Enable QuartzGL menu items? I think you need to restart Numbers after making these changes.

--
Chris
Reply to

I was thinking the same thing. The fact that the entire content of the view is gone supports that theory. If it's a Quartz issue, the problem may happen regardless of VNC client. Disabling Quartz Extreme may do the trick.

filter. Due to Google\'s refusal to prevent spammers from posting

JR
Reply to
Jolly Roger

I was just talking about what the Apple Store has available. You could probably find cheaper at any computer shop, especially if you're not really going to use it.

--
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, localhost, googlegroups.com, ono.com,
    and probably your server, too.
Reply to
Doc O'Leary

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 09:05:11 -0700, Doc O'Leary wrote (in article ):

You mean? ::

Reply to
notme

It may provide only a limited set of resolutions.

Reply to
Malcolm

Have you tried doing this yet?:

filter. Due to Google\'s refusal to prevent spammers from posting

JR
Reply to
Jolly Roger

Thanks for the creative suggestion.

I just made up one tonight and plugged it into the Mini. It had an effect, if not the one I expected.

When I plug in the "dummy" connector and reboot, I cannot connect to the Mini via VNC at all. (Tried different clients; no joy.)

If I unplug the dummy, the mini behaves as before; VNC connectivity is restored.

???

Thanks.

Reply to
notme

Sounds like its getting stuck before the VNC server starts. Probably because its got a dialog box up resulting from the monitor change. Can you set the resolution to 640x480 via VNC and try again?

As all ID pins open was originally defined as 'no monitor', it would also be worth connecting pin 11 (ID0) to pin 5 (GND) to properly identify your connector as a colour VGA monitor.

I don't think grounding pin 4 (ID2) will help as I doubt the Mac supports IBM 8514/A displays :-) It is worth a try though if you already have it working at 640x480 to see if you can then switch to

1024x768.

You *will* need the I2C eeprom if you want to emulate a higher resolution monitor.