Shade for panel-mount lighting

Does anyone make a panel lamp shade off-the-shelf? Something like a quarter section of a prolate spheroid (American) "football-shape" out of brass, say, that mounts to a rack chassis you could then fit a lamp underneath so it projects light downward over some non-illuminated controls?

Reply to
bitrex

I feel like there might be a part like this for the aviation industry for control panels on planes, maybe.

Reply to
bitrex

A number-plate light?

Jasen Betts

Wow, something like this would be perfect:

Like on an old-timey car.

I don't think I've ever owned a car where the number-plate lighting wasn't integrated into the body. rotary telephone sort of thing.

Reply to
bitrex

I was thinking of the ones used on cargo trailers etc. eg:

Jasen Betts

Sounds fragile... but you could array those axial lamps

and an intriguing possibility is to use glow-in-the-dark tape (or fluorescent paint) with a line of UV LEDs; the only part that sticks out is the fluorescent strip, which faces down on the controls, while the exciting light (aimed in spotty fashioon from a lens) neither hits the eyes, nor does its reflection, being invisible, distract.

Fluorescence means the output light is totally diffused (Lambertian) from the shaped emitting surface.

Reply to
whit3rd