Panel Mount Switch

All,

For a PCB mounted switch I get it - part is soldered on the PCB. No problem.

Now when we get into something like a "panel mounted" switch I am not sure what I am dealing with here - for example:

Does this solder directly into the PCB as a through-hole? Or do I need some type of receptacle that the part snaps/plugs into? I am not sure how this get connected to my circuit.

Thank you for your thoughts.

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Miller

You can either solder wires directly to the switch terminals or use quick-connect/disconnect connectors such as:

There is an example photo about 2/3rds of the way down on the page you cited.

Then you can use connectors of your choice on the opposite end of the wire harness to interface to your circuit.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

"Mike Miller"

** Normally, the switch is pushed into a neat fitting hole cut in the panel concerned from the OUTSIDE - it then locks itself in place.

Then flexible leads fitted with push on terminals ( known as QCs for "quick connects" ) are used to connect it to whatever.

Soldering wires onto the metal tabs is possible, but will likely melt the plastic and so ruin the part.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

As shown by

      __
   __/  \
  /  \__/
  \__/    Don Kuenz
  /  \__
  \__/  \
     \__/
Reply to
Don Kuenz

Aren't those called "spade lugs"? Pretty standard in appliances, auto fuse blocks, etc.

Reply to
Greegor

Cut a rectangular hole in the enclosure and press it in (by thumb), the "arms" at the ends will grip the hole, and the flange at the top will cover the edges of the hole, switches similar to this are common on PC powersupplies (but the 240V version)

the short answer is "no" to both.

The switch may not withstand the heat of soldering. and the centre barrier between the two terminals would require a slot cut in the PCB

The spade terminals are designed for "quick-connects" which are usually crimped onto flex wires. eg:

I have not encountered a solderable recepticle suited for these switches but this does not mean that one does not exist.

--
For a good time: install ntp

Jasen Betts

IEC calls them "quick-connect" on the first page, I've not read the rest.

--
For a good time: install ntp

Jasen Betts

--
No.

Google "spade lug"

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Although, you could PCB-mount some QC female terminals at the correct spacing and press the switch onto it. Vertical and right-angle terminals are available, but you need the edgewise-right-angle type to do it right (unless you're lucky enough to find a switch with terminals in the same plane).

The PCB would probably be tricky to support between the three (panel, PCB and switch). After all, you're not just going to leave the PCB hanging off the back of a plastic-spring-retained switch, nor are you going to carry the entire force of pushing the switch on the PCB.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

TE Connectivity-AMP calls them "Faston"

--
"Design is the reverse of analysis"
                   (R.D. Middlebrook)

That was their trademark.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

G > Aren't those called "spade lugs"? JF > No. JF > Google "spade lug" Thank you.

Reply to
Greegor