See where your students go...

Years ago I did design work for Arizona Microtek and helped a very bright young student/junior engineer along with his education in ASIC's and solid state design.

So where does he end up...

;-)

...Jim Thompson

"All tube guitar amplifiers are point-to-point hand wired"

Boy, you musta scared that guy.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

On a sunny day (Mon, 27 Oct 2008 16:04:07 -0700) it happened Tim Wescott snipped-for-privacy@seemywebsite.com wrote in <jpGdnQIhSYh61ZvUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@web-ster.com:

LOL

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

He was really quite good at high-speed ASIC's... a natural.

And he still does design work for Fairchild.

...Jim Thompson

"Jim Thompson" snipped-for-privacy@My-Web-Site.com wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Doing what you love can be better than doing what you are good at!

"Our goal is to provide electronics that have an organic tone and feel such that they are an extension of your instrument and a key component in your performance"

Organic food tastes great, wonder what the sound tastes like?

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

"Jim Thompson" snipped-for-privacy@My-Web-Site.com wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

I had a colleague once to told me about showing off a product to his wife that he spent 18 months of long hours helping to design. Wife: "That's beautiful dear, but it took you 18 months to design that little box?". Husband: "Oh no, I didn't design the box, see that tiny black chip inside, THAT'S what I spent 18 months of my life on!"

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Paraphrase from Woody Allen: 'My father worked in a factory all his life, and was replaced by a little chip that could do everything he could at twice the speed and half the cost. The depressing part was that my mother went out and got one'.

People often ask me what I do. Most people think they understand what a software engineer does, but after explaining my job in the simplest terms, they usually end up asking whether I can remove the spyware from their pc. My answer is usually 'can I borrow a hammer?'.

Hardware engineers can at least point at physical things and say "I made that". People are always far more impressed by my silly little hardware hacks than my software, even when I lie and say I invented the internet.

I watched a Nova last night about the son of Hugh Everett, who was the inventor of the 'many worlds' interpretation of quantum mechanics. His son is a rock musician, and the show was both a commercial for his music, and his exploration of the work of his father, talking to his father's friends and coworkers. He didn't have a clue, but the music wasn't bad.

I guess nobody really gets what people in technology do except the people who are also doing it.

Regards, Bob Monsen

Reply to
Robert Monsen

: :Years ago I did design work for Arizona Microtek and helped a very :bright young student/junior engineer along with his education in :ASIC's and solid state design. : :So where does he end up... : :

;-) : : ...Jim Thompson

In the late 80's to around 1990 I had a trainee technical officer working for me in our electronics design lab in Perth before he transferred to the mobile telephone planning division. He was engaged in planning for mobile base stations, path profiling, radiation measurements etc. but his group was made redundant around '93 I think. He took his golden handshake and when he left he purchased from his employer the in-house developed software package used for base station path profiling since it was no longer of use to them. He used it in setting up his own company and contracted back to the old employer to do the same job he was doing prior to being made redundant. He now heads up Radhaz Consulting with HQ in Melbourne where the company does work for all the Australian telco's, the military as well as general industry.

Talk about being in the right place at the right time...

Reply to
Ross Herbert