Greenland really was green 400,000 years ago

The evidence is "bulletproof" according to scientists. This totally refutes the claim that we are now in the warmest period EVER in Earth's history. It also opens another chapter in the Cold War history book.

Reply to
Flyguy

Sewage Sweeper doesn't understand the link he has posted. It just says that a fairly recent interglacial - from "424,000 to 374,000 years ago" was warmer than the one we were were living through when we started burning lots of fossil carbon.

Nobody who knows what they are talking about has actually claimed that we are now "in the warmest period EVER in Earth's history." Some have claimed that this year is shaping up to be the warmest for about 120,000 years, probably referring back to a more recent interglacial.

Everybody knows that the

some 55.5 million years ago was warmer.

It doesn't open any new chapter in the Cold War history book, if one actually existed.

It does reveal how little Sewage Sweeper knows about what he is talking about, but that has been obvious for a while.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

But the instrumentation has changed radically. We don't really know.

Cro-magnins had temperature loggers?

Cromagnons didn't have temperature loggers, but they built stuff with wood, and tree rings tell a story.

Michael Mann's "hockey-stick" curve was based on this sort of archeological evidence. The climate change denial industry was just starting up around then, and they went after that result with a lot of enthusiasm, but no success.

What they did do - brilliantly well - was to motivate a lot of other academics to look at the question using a variety of other proxies for historical temperature - about two dozen so far -and the hockey stick curve must be one of the best replicated results in the literature.

John Larkin gets his information from climate change denial propaganda so he hasn't heard about any of this - we've told him often enough, but being told he is wrong isn't an experience he finds flattering, so he doesn't take in the information.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Wrong, of course. The instrumentation does NOT define temperature, which is very much an influence on a variety of phenomena, any of which can measure the same temperature. Based on dilute gas, or cheese-ripening-rate, or platinum resistor. We really DO know that a variety of thermometric appliances measure the same thing.

Reply to
whit3rd

The Quaternary glaciation got going about 2.58 million years ago. and we started having alternating ice ages and interglacials.

Our ancestors lived through some interesting times. Quite why they took up large scale agriculture after the end of the most recent ice age hasn't been explained.

They might have been doing it during the previous interglacial - there was one about 120,000 years ago - but nobody has found any trace of it.

<snip>

Seems unlikely. Our ancestors made through a bunch of ice ages and interglacials.

The ants have had the planet for a lot longer than we have. We don't seem to get in their way.

Anthony William Sloman

The effect of sunspot maximum vs minimum on climate is about 0.1% all up.

It is only really a problem for satellites in low Earth orbit when it fluffs up the upper atmosphere increasing drag (and bombarding them occasionality with fast particles and shock waves).

Sunspot influence is detectable but compared to the huge effects of orbital eccentricity, angle of tilt and precession of the Earths rotation combined with the the exact time of perihelion it is noise.

climate.nasa.gov/news/2948/milankovitch-orbital-cycles-and-their-role-in-earths-climate/

That is the main driver for very long term climate change 41ky and 100ky respectively. We are presently in an era where Northern hemisphere winters with lots of land coincide with perihelion (more or less). This means warmer winters with less snow than there might otherwise be.

It gets a lot colder when the tables are turned. Snow falling on the large southern oceans doesn't alter the albedo of the planet. Snow falling onto the great expanses of northern tundra wilderness does.

Positive feedback from slowly changing the albedo makes a big difference to the outcome around the polar ice pack in the Northern hemisphere. Conversely loss of snow pack and glaciers at high latitudes allows the Earth to absorb more heat. The way things are going the North pole will be largely ice free in summers before too much longer.

This recent picture of the Fiescher glacier shows just how much the ice has retreated in Switzerland over the past century (move the slider).

Martin Brown

Hey Bozo, we are NOT talking about 55 million years ago, but 0.4 million years ago, which is recent history for the global warming fanatics like yourself. But I expect anyone that can't even spell their own NAME to understand that.

Bozo's Sewage Sweeper

Reply to
Flyguy

This has ZERO to do with global warming.

Reply to
Flyguy

Your statement was "This totally refutes the claim that we are now in the warmest period EVER in Earth's history"'.

That does include an event that happened 55 million years ago, even if you seem to imagine that it doesn't.

There nothing fanatical about recognising that anthopogenic global warming is actually happening. The fanatics are the people who continue to deny it. They also seem to think that that Donald Trump knows what he is talking about.

Anthony William Sloman

Jared Diamond's book "Collapse"

does cover the collapse of the Norse settlements in Greenland, which died out, at least in part because the local climate cooled down a bit. Their Inuit neighbours did fine. Denmark didn't have a lot to do with that.

It has quite a lot to do with climate change, which Sewage Sweeper doesn't know much about - he doesn't know much about anything, which doesn't stop him from having fixed (if bonkers) opinions.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

some 55.5 million years ago was warmer.

The secret polar bases were kept very quiet at the time.

The sea level was much higher back then when there was no Greenland ice shelf on the land and there were no cities to be flooded back then.

AGW deniers will still be pretending that it isn't real and isn't happening even when the Florida Keys are completely under water. They rely on the tried and tested tricks that keep the suckers smoking.

Reply to
Martin Brown

1.4 metres of sea level rise isn't all that much, if quite enough to submerge the Florida Keys.

"The oldest continuous ice core records extend to 130,000 years in Greenland, and 800,000 years in Antarctica."

It's not the AGW deniers who are pretending - they seem to be dim enough (Flyguy and John Larkin) to believe the twaddle they being fed by the fossil carbon extraction industry. Cursitor Doom is slightly different - he seems to insist that his lunatic conspiracy theories are completely deranged before he is willing to endorse them.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Hey Bozo, people might not deny "anthropogenic global warming" if there were actual scientific evidence that supported it.

Reply to
Flyguy

Oh, we have freedom of speech; all kinds of crackpots keep spouting words. The 'people might not deny' phrase is... a fantasy scenario in these United States; there's different rules in Russia, North Korea, etc.

Reply to
whit3rd

There's loads of it. Sadly, your demented excuse for a brain can't understand any of it, despite the fact that our newspapers keep on publishing "hottest year since we started recording temperatures" headlines. Learned - peer-reviewed - journals have been publishing less sensational reports since the 1990's, but you can't understand them either, and probably couldn't back when you were less demented.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman