Where did the controls go????

Please help an old TV repairman who started out with tubes. I opened up a GE color TV to set the levels and gain of the RGB signals and to my suprise nothing on the neck board and nothing on the main pcb. Am I S.O.L. with the green background or is there some special button pushing sequence on the front to get to a service mode to set these things?

Thanx in Advance Jim

Reply to
Jim Poore

You need to do this in the service mode. Tell me alittle bit of what type of tube things you worked on.

Reply to
tvguy

The label inside the TV tells you the sequence you need to get into the service menu. This info is also commonly available on the net. However, unless the adjustments you need to make are minor, no amount of screwing around in the service menu will compensate for a bad CRT or bad T1 chip.

John

Reply to
John-Del

Most of the TV's and monitors today, use a service mode for performing adjustments. Some models can have the service mode accessed via the remote control, while others use a dedicated external interface device of some type. In most cases, the shop service manual is required to use the service mode.

If any parameters have changed in the set, proper service to locate and change the defective components should be done, rather than mess with the service mode. The service mode has been set up during the manufacturing process. Once done, it hsould not ever need to be teaked, unless a critical part has been changed.

Jerry G.

Reply to
Jerry G.

Oh...I worked on just about everything that used tubes but mainly my specialty was working on Hi-Fi Audio and Musical Instrument stuff.

Reply to
Jim Poore

No....nothing like a bad crt or anything...After working on TV's for some 40+ years when I happen to watch a nlack & white episode of Twilight Zone, I want it black and white, not black and green, thats all. Its jus your basic crt aging with one gun being a bit more predominate than the other two.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Poore