Where did "RUN" go?

XP Pro

Hardly ever use it, but this morning I click "Start" expecting the usual choices, and all I'm presented with is "Shut Down".

I needed to "RUN" a program.

What have I screwed up? ...Jim Thompson

Type 'R' in the start menu and see what happens. You can also run stuff from the 'Task Manager'

If its still broken, Open a command prompt (CMD) from accessories menu -> type "gpedit.msc" expand the user configuration node -> expand admin templates -> click "Start Menu and Taskbar -> in the right pane look for "remove run menu from start menu from start menu" it should be set to "not configured" if it is double click it set to enable, click apply, then set to disable and click apply. if it's set to enabled then set to disable. Reboot and see if run's back on the start menu.

Check for virus's!

Martin Riddle

I've never needed to "RUN" a program. I don't remember ever using "RUN". I just double-click on the executable or shortcut.

Reply to
krw

Start menu, "Display Run" was unchecked. ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

Spice is like a sports car... Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

In case it hasn't already been mentioned (I haven't been following the thread), the keyboard shortcut is Windows-R to get to the "Run Program..." dialog box.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Or press one of the little flag keys on the keyboard. Then click "Run" in the window that pops up.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Right-click start menu, then customise, then find and enable 'show run...' on start menu, something like that. Just a box needs to be checked in there.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

'The little flag keys' are the 'Windows' keys.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

There are executables that are not available in either of those ways..

Reply to
Robert Baer

..except when there ain't no sech key on urine KB.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Actually, right click the start, then properties, then customise. Now tick the 'display run'

Reply to
TTman

Actually? Also! You think there's "one, true way"? You be wrong.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant

No, to be precise, I think you be wrong.Take some english lessons as well while you're at it!

Reply to
TTman

Such as?

Reply to
krw

Oh, ok, then that's the same key Joel meant. The Bill Gates key :-)

On my keyboard both flag .. err .. Windows keys do the same. Now why can't we have keyboards with Old Glory on these keys?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Then ya ought ta be gitten yerself a kay bee with them thar keys on theiar.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

They can generally be found for

Reply to
Joel Koltner

But I want one with Old Glory on there :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I don't think I've ever paid > $20 for a keyboard, and that was for a USB compliant one that works with my KVM switch without loading it down (power-wise). ...Jim Thompson

                   Spice is like a sports car...
     Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.

With keyboards I tend to go for quality. Cheap ones lose the "e" and "t" too fast, they just wear out. Maybe I am too much of a "pounce-typist" but that never happened with mainstream mfg keyboards such as IBM, Tandon, Cherry and so on.