Rust removal?

I ran across a rust remover that puts a "polymer" coating on the surface as well. I let it go bye, but your acrylic idea brings it back to mind. Know anything about it?

Yep, I always use the yellow Teflon gas tape.

...Jim Thompson

The Boeshield (as is Boeing - designed to protect fuselages) products clean rust and coat it. There are three in the series, intended for cast iron tools (I use it for my table saw). One of them is a rust protectant. The others are cleaners and rust removers. Don't know about using the stuff in direct contact with water though.

Use it for water too. A lot of the white stuff is crap.

Reply to
krw

Sorry, its been too many years since I had to do any black iron. I lived in a steel town that had a wholesaler with anything you could want for gas or industrial piping. They knew their stuff, but I'm 1000 miles away these days. I would stay away from the water based finishes if possible. The older ones were better. Oil based as always my preferred finishes and sealers.

Is there a real propane dealer in your area that sets large tanks? They should have something available. I know they use a special paint on their tanks to prevent rust.

I used the white, but it came from that industrial supplier. Its the same place that I bought 21 foot pieces of black iron, the orange direct burial plastic gas line and Robroy gas meter installation kit. They even delivered the pipe for free, since they passed my house a few times a week with a full load. :)

Michael A. Terrell

[snip]
[snip]

I remember it well. At the old house I installed a 120' run of 3" coated iron from the (natural) gas meter to my pool heater.

Fortunately a neighbor was a Rain Bird dealer, so I borrowed his ditch witch ;-)

Nice neighbor... I helped his kid with his math... came home from work (Motorola) one day to find he'd done my whole back yard, controllers and all for free ;-)

Tutoring paid off well... the other neighbor kid's father was a big honcho at Anthony Pools... about 1/2 price. That was the kid I bribed... "get "A" in Algebra and I'll build you a 400W guitar amplifier" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I installed the new gas & water lines while working double shifts, seven days a week at my regular job. It damn near killed me, getting by on two or three hours sleep a night for a month. :(

Michael A. Terrell

I asked for that stuff at a hardware store (US) because I ran out. Nobody understood, except for an older guy who remembered. He said the only place he could imagine might be the basement of a museum. So I had some sent from Europe.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

walk=20

OK, I have been riding for 'bout 30 years, daily commuting. I have done enough car fixing, including engine rebuilding (except for machine shop services, didn't have the machines not that i could not run them) to try to stand beside you.

Reply to
JosephKK

yard,

that

have

over

You could douse it liberally with some anti-oxidant. Zinc rich primers come to mind.

On the outside at least, propane should be a reducing atmosphere.

Reply to
JosephKK

Could Thompson be trained to operate a wire wheel?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

at

=A0 =A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

around here its called fairy hair, all the pros use it, but now alot of water installations are made with plastic tube in tube, so leak are easily seen and can be fixed. so that's mostly compression fittings

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

.

it

or

I work at a place that shares a building with a cleanroom, most of the piping is welded. lots of of it ~12mm pipe, 1 mm wall with beautiful welds done with an automatic orbital tig welding machine.

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

I do not like compression fittings at all. Often they need to be torqued to the pain threshold and then barely stop leaking. Good old hemp and paste is best, followed by epoxied PVC or ABS (but then a repair means the hacksaw has to be pulled out).

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

You're mixing apples and oranges... "hemp" (packing) is only suitable for sewer pipe. Now-a-days "potable" (drinking) water is by copper tubing. Some venues have allowed plastic, but the failure rate has been absurd. ...Jim Thompson

"I have a dream that [Obama] will one day live in a nation where
[he] will not be judged by the color of [his] skin but by the
content of [his] character."

                  Obama will then be impeached.

"Free at last! free at last! Thank God Almighty, we [will be] free
at last!"

They claim good results if there is a good crimp. If.

I installed a plastic line to the icemaker. I was sitting downstairs and heard the leak and quickly shut that line down. I'm glad I was home and there. I went back to copper, but found the icemaker does not work. i still have no ice. I keep wondering about plumming and why, who, darn.

I was installing gas lines. I have too many feeds off the manifolds. One set of pipe and connection from the store just would not tighten down without leaking. I just had to go out and buy another type, because I feared the one coupler was just made wrong along with the rest of the batch.

I keep crossing my fingers with that stupid toilet connection. greg

Reply to
GregS

Why? What's wrong with a li'l hemp on the threads plus pipe dope?

It's been that way since a long time. The joints in question would be threaded connections, such as on faucets.

A SW engineer once told me that his whole condo had to be re-piped because some newfangled polybutylen or whatever stuff began to leak inside the walls. Tab to be fully paid by the mfg, times tens of thousands of homes. I can't imagine the mfg having survived.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

You don't want to use epoxy on PVC or ABS. First, it's questionable whether epoxy would even stick to it, and second, the goop that they use on them now essentially welds the plastic together, making the joint an integral part of the pipe and fitting, like it turns them into one piece of plastic.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Well, sure, I used the wrong expression. I meant PVC cement. ABS has its own (different) cement and that stuff is phantastic. I now save some of the snippets, drill curlers and saw dust from ABS pipes. You can dissolve it in some ABS cement and form stuff onto pipes, fill in imprecise cuts or joints, and so on. Amazing.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

"imprecise cuts" ?:-) Sheeeeesh! ...Jim Thompson

"I have a dream that [we] will one day live in a nation where
[Obama] will not be judged by the color of [his] skin but by the
content of [his] character."

                  Obama will then be impeached.

"Free at last! free at last! Thank God Almighty, we [will be] free
at last!"

:-)

Have you ever had to stop in a crawlspace, totally contorted, holding a Milwaukee Sawszall over your head and cut something off without even seeing the saw? Or without knowing who else lives down there?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Sawszall? WIMP! Try having to knock a hole through a double brick foundation wall and lay in ice cold mud while you make accurate cuts with a hacksaw.

Michael A. Terrell