That nice Sony company

Nasty! Have you used RootkitRevealer yourself?

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

But was there a clipboard ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Whew! I came through CLEAN! Nice to know!

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

taken from rec.audio.pro.

Nice bit of digital sleuthing

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Hi Jim, I found 4, on this laptop, all very old, but I dont have the software skills to safely remove them, but I havent tried to find out what they do yet. Havent tried the other PCs yet. I have one PC that had a lot of games on it, I think that might be interesting

martin

Reply to
martin griffith

Hello Martin,

Just one more reason why the DOS days were better days. And yes, I could play CDs on both of my last DOS systems.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Jim,

Actually, yes, somewhat. It's a while ago and IIRC it was a DOS "Task Master" where you could run programs concurrently. But you had to switch between them (no simultaneous display) and assign each a particular memory bank. One PC had 5MB, the other 8MB.

Copy and paste was iffy. You could not simply take a graphics file from a spreadsheet output, plop it into Word and have the text flow around it. It was a little more involved but not much. I generated most docs in Word and had parts of OrCad SDT schematics in the text where circuit details needed to be explained. But quite frankly I don't recall the exact procedure. AFAIR an image export had to go into a file first and then could be loaded but once I got used to the procedure it was quite painless.

Best of all, no hard freezes whatsoever. Except once, when I had just cracked open the shrink wrapper of my first C compiler and absolutely had to write directly to the VGA card. I almost fried the monitor (it blew its fuse).

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

You're kidding, or just not remembering clearly. Every jackass with an assembler could infiltrate DOS without so much as looking beyond the programmers guides. The problem isn't that you can or can't infiltrate. The problem is that someone, many someones, want to mess with your system whether for gain or out of simple malice. DRM sucks big time; it brings money to the game. Now, hackers can mess with your life, and still pay their rent and eat wholesome meals. For reasons I don't fully understand, this upsets me more than any other aspect. The phuckers messing with your life are getting paid to do so, like normal decent working fellows. I'll stop now... need my meds.

Reply to
Mike Young

Anyone who owns a Beamer deserves it. Likewise Mercedes. Poorest rate-of-required-repair rating of all cars sold in the US.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of quality 5.25" floppies outlasting commodity CD-R media, even with say 15 years headstart.

In other words, I'd make the copies, but I'd also store the originals and the drive.

Reply to
cs_posting

(1) Their income is somewhat less than yours (and they only feel a little resentful that they were made to analyze a 1488 in their classes rather than design it in the first place like you did :-) ) and they're living in a dorm, tiny apartment, etc. and don't have the funds/space/whatever for a fancier system

(2) They've bought into the "Home Theatre PC" (HTPC) concept where a regular old PC takes the place of a DVD player, MP3 database, VCR, etc. -- and these people often DO feed the output to a projector, plasma display, etc. with surround sound, etc...

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

I systematically went thru all my 5-1/4" disks a few years ago and copied them all to CD's and got rid of the 5-1/4" drive.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Of course I have to wonder... WHY do people play DVD movies on their PC? I have a big-ass 55" (diagonal) letter-box JVC for that purpose, with surround sound and a sub-bass capable of making you FEEL the submarine when I play "hunt for Red October" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I have a labeler, NEATO MediaFace II Media Labeling Software.

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

Actually, I'll 'fess up, I often take a movie or two with me when I travel to job sites so cold I don't want to leave the hotel for entertainment, like Colorado, Massachusetts or Michigan ;-)

...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

That's why the #1 CD has a "serials.txt" file that is updated every time I write an old file with a serial to CD.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

Perhaps because no one cares to write them?
Reply to
John Fields

Makes you think twice or so about buying a Vaio laptop. What terrifying stealth crap might they load on them?

John

Well worth reading. The best defence is to get rid of windoze and don't but from anyone employing copy protection. Yeah, it's somewhat of a nusience but if you continue to use wincrap and similar stuff you are condoning their practices.

I have never bought a piece of copy protected software in over forty years of computing. The license agreement for my OS says that I may not simultaneously _run_ the system on more than one computer at a time.

One of the replies to the article suggested that it was another reason to use a Mac. That might have been true a few years ago but Apple is now in bed with Redmond.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Hello Mike,

Sure, but it was remarbably easy to detect that. Any TSR program would be very obvious to the alert DOS user. Messing with the OS itself wasn't too easy since web connections were largely text based and the software didn't allow loopholes into the OS.

Also, DOS is so small in footprint that reasonable quality control is possible. "Modern" OS are so bloated that it seems obvious to me that the architects have lost that ability. Loopholes typically only come to light after something bad has happened. IOW, only after an "oh s..t" experience.

There is a simple way out: Don't buy these media. I won't. And I have never downloaded a single song or copied any music CD, so it's certainly not for any greedy reason. I just don't like spyware to infiltrate my systems so if I won't buy or play any DRM media. Heck, we don't even have a DVD player anywhere in the house.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg