Capacitive water level sensor

Hi,

Is it feasible to sense water level in a plastic container with capacitive sensors on the OUTSIDE of the container? The container concerned will be a heavy gague plastic water storage vessel - perhaps 2 - 3mm thick walls.

I'm thinking of using some strips of 1" copper tape glued to the outside and attempting to sense the change in capacitance caused by the presence of water at that level in the container. I suspect the problem here is tha the change would be too small to reliably detect?

Alternatively I could immerse just one long stainless steel rod in the container as one capacitor 'plate' and using single copper strips on the outside at various levels. Here could energise the external electrodes squentially and measure what comes back on the stainless steel rod relying on the conductivity of the water to form the other 'plate'

I need to sense multiple levels and drilling holes in the container is not really an option.

I'm not after a commercial solution, just a quick and dirty DIY approach.

Your thoughts gratefully appreciated.

Philip

Reply to
Electric dabbler

Yes, feasible.

You'd have to shield and compensate against outside influences (hand, bird landing on container, dirt, dust, rain etc.).

You can, but it should be possible without. The rod might corrode even if stainless, or at least gunk up.

For stuff like this I'd use sound, little piezos fastened at the desired levels.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 23:33:58 +0100, Electric dabbler wrote: [about water level sensing in plastic container, 3mm walls ...

How about sonar? Stick little piezo elements to the plastic, and put each one in an oscillator circuit, and when the resonant frequency changes, the water level passed the element. Or maybe just the phase shift would change - you'd need to do some experiments, but it'd probably be less hassle than capacitive through 3mm of poly.

For capacitive, I'd put _some_ kind of conductor inside the tank, and probably put the copper strip vertically, and use the change in C as the indicator, but I'd think that'd have to be awfully sensitive. (read: hard to do and make stable simultaneously. ;-) )

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I am interested in the same thing and found a dev baord and chip at

I never ordered the unit and the website has changed A LOT. In any case they had several designs for exactly what you want to do. Soem used a piece of PVC pipe immersed in the tank as the sensor.

Bill

Reply to
beananimal

I like the cork on a leadscrew turning a pot.... like they use for outboard gas gauges... or a cork with a magnet floating past some reed switches.

Reply to
BobG

Looks a little complicated, so many variables. If you like challenges I would suggest hanging a closed stainless steel (or plastic) tube on a load cell and using Archimedean "Eureka!" principle deduce the water level by the reduction of weight. Linear from zero to whatever.

Good luck

Stanislaw Slack user from Ulladulla.

Reply to
Stanislaw Flatto

of

the

There is a commercial product, the Robertshaw Level Lance that does just about what you want. It is basically a 555 timer that uses the capacitance of the liquid rising and falling along a teflon-coated conductor as the timing capacitance. Only problem is that their calibration is only relative, you have to set it in the actual fluid.

Still, it is a commercial product using approximately the principle you have outlined.

Reply to
BFoelsch

Can you use the container's weight?

Set it on a platform equipped with strain gauges. Or, if this is a budget job, cannibalize one of those electronic bathroom scales.

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ Opinions stated herein are the sole property of the author. Standard disclaimers apply. Celebrity voice impersonated. Batteries not included. Limit one to a customer. Best if used by April 1, 2006. Refrigerate after opening. Void if removed.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Not only is it possible, it is a commercial product. Google [capacitive proximity sensor].

Reply to
John Popelish

Yes - Snake River Electronics

makes tank level sensors using this technique.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

Aquagauge low-cost capacitance water level sensor at

John

I made a probe by driving a copper pipe (tight fit) inside a PVC pipe, capped on the wet end.

A wire cage around the outside of the PVC (about an inch away) made connection to the water (ground).

Worked just fine.

...Jim Thompson

[snip]

I've often pondered using a piece of PVC pipe as if it were an organ pipe, driving it with a speaker, finding its resonance, and determining depth from that.

...Jim Thompson

"Electric dabbler" wrote in news:F8Gdnb snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

I have made the following with success if you want to DIY, similar to Rich's idea.

Get 2 piezos which are identical. You need a certain defined thickness, such as made by Phillips. They have a defined resonant frequency, eg.

2MHz for about a 1mm thick one. The principle is a transmitter, driven by a Xtal oscillator at the same resonant freq, and a receiver on the other side of the container. The piezos are placed on the outside of the vessel and glued on the surface.

Electronics are easy. Transmitter is xtal oscilator and buffer. Receiver is linear amplifier following recieve piezo, rectifier detector and comparator or just a gate for quick and dirty. I made tx and rx with one

74HC04, using 1st recieve gate in linear mode. Was relaible and fluid can be sludgy. Using this technique there is more difference than a capacitive sensor for different fluid levels.
Reply to
Geoff C

Analog devices have some ultra high resolution capacitance sensors newly introduced.

--
Many thanks,

Please visit my GURU\'s LAIR web site at http://www.tinaja.com
Reply to
Don Lancaster

Jim Thompson wrote: > I've often pondered using a piece of PVC pipe as if it were an organ > pipe, driving it with a speaker, finding its resonance, and > determining depth from that. >

Would that be an acoustic TDR?

GG

Reply to
Glenn Gundlach

No; more like an acoustic LC bridge or grid dip oscillator.

Reply to
mc

Resonant cavity. :-)

Or, a 1/4 wave waveguide stub. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Hello,

Thanks for all your really useful replies - I love the idea of sound!

Bill - the Quantum Research ic's look really interesting - I feel the urge to build something with a touch controlled front panel!

I have just glued two piezo elements to a large plastic water canister. I have no idea of their characteristics but they are identical and I can have fun working out what works best..

Thanks again guys,

Philip

Reply to
Electric dabbler

Then you would need to compensate for humidity/temperature I guess ..?

Reply to
pbdelete