RF: 2.4 - 5.8GHz or DECT

I'm looking for a cordless phone. I've had Panasonic (Bad luck there), read terrible reviews about Siemens, Motorolla and VTech.... I have a Sony that has worked great for years, but is ready for retirement. I would like a wired base and two handsets, but am flexible. I have spent hours researching this on the web.. Any feedback that you may be able to provide would be welcome.

Regards, DRubery

Reply to
DRubery

DECT is much more reliable than "analog" transmission. At least is allows talking while the fridge is running.

My 2 cents

Reply to
OBones

I have a 4-line VTech. No problems whatsoever... except the secondary chargers have no way to wall-mount, so I'm making my own ;-)

...Jim Thompson

DRubery

Hum, 50 meters with the base inside the reinforced concrete house, and no problems whatsoever. A lot more open range I guess. I never managed to do that with an analog one in the same price range.

Reply to
OBones

Reply to
DRubery

Thanks... I did not know VTECH had DECT phones until I checked today. Panasonic was the vendor that initially sparked my interest in DECT. With my involvement at work in RF for WLANs, it sounded like a good technology.. especially given the range of the new 802.11n draft wireless..

Reply to
DRubery

Reply to
DRubery

Here's the system I have...

The handsets do better than 24 hours off-charger... they're plain vanilla LCD... no color, no polymorphic BS ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Jim, thanks for the recommendation. I'll consider it, 4 lines may be overkill for me. I manage a VOIP system at work and the less complex the better. I don't want to come home to a phone problem, it's bad enough at work (our system is pretty reliable.)

DRubery

Jim Thomps>

Reply to
DRubery

When I bought my 4-liner, there were also available single and 2-line versions.

I have three phone lines because I operate my business from my home office.

...Jim Thompson

I went through the same sort of selection process last year, and went for DECT, with two handsets. It's crystal clear and has reasonable range, all around the house, about 30 yards out the back door, that's because of the metal sheds and barn, but out the front in an open lawn with trees, about 100+ yards.

A know a couple of folk with 2.4 GHz phones, they and the wireless LANs interfere with each other. One changed to a 5.8 GHz phone to overcome the problem.

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

We bought a 1.8GHz Panasonic 3-station set for that reason. I like it a lot, especially having speaker-phone on each handset (though that adds considerably to the cost).

Reply to
Clifford Heath

Barry and Cliff thanks for your input.

DECT seems the way to go as it spreads the signal over multiple channels and interference from the 2.4 Ghz to 5.8 Ghz. spectrum should not be an issue. Microwaves also should not interfere with it.

Barry, what brand did you end up getting?

Thanks,

DRubery

Clifford Heath wrote:

Reply to
DRubery

I had a short-list of Vtech, Uniden, Panasonic and Oricom. I went for the latter as they were significantly cheaper in the 2-handset pack. I don't think there's much to separate any of the brands.

And the price of them all has dropped about 30-40% in the meantime !!

Barry

Reply to
Barry Lennox

Phillips has had DECT available in the UK for sometime and they are releasing a DECT set here in the states that is no frills. Caller-ID, number memory, no color screen and speaker phones on the handset. Has anyone following this thread had Phillips?

Barry "I don't think there's much to separate any of the brands."... after researching this on the web I'm coming to believe that as well. There are companies out there making great cell phones, heft, good talk time and durable yet with the allowances of a bigger handset for home use no comapny (besides EnGenius) is making a high quality cordless handset. I think the market is there for the taking if a good challenger can come in between the high end EnGenuis and the Panasonic's of the world.

DRubery

Barry Lennox wrote:

Reply to
DRubery