REQ: major electronics analysis project help needed TIA

Thanks John, I'll look into Ethernet. Last time I did this sort of thin, the engineers hardwired everything into a Unix system onboard the A/C ( 15 years ago) I havn't kept with all the technologies since then.

Reply to
JB2

Energy use monitoring is big business. Even the power companies have taken to marketing third-party widgets into which you plug an appliance for data logging various primary power use parameters with download capability to a PC. It's only a matter of time before the energy intensive appliances themselves contain this feature with connectivity to a home automation standard, reporting not only the dull and drab energy consumption, but other more fascinating status information like the freezer temperature, washing machine cycle state, or dryer temperature, maybe component failure, warranty status, and automatic connection to whomever the consumer has decided is appropriate- this will make for an easy high profit margin option for the sellers.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

I wasn't completely clear. What I meant was, do all your inputs need to be of the form "bus B is at exactly 27.3 volts" (analog) or can some of them be of the form "bus B is on" or "bus B is off" (digital). It sounds like all or nearly all of your inputs will be analog.

To a zeroth approximation, this helps define your system architecture. If you require high precision, it might make sense to buy one or a few really good A to D converter(s), and then use it (them) to make several dozen measurements in turn. If your requirements are not so strict (and yours seem to not be very strict), it might make sense to buy lots of cheaper A to D converters and let each one do a handful of measurements.

Since you mentioned elsewhere it's DoD, maybe you could just throw people at it. Buy 150 $20 digital multimeters, open up a couple of fresh cans of soldiers/sailors/airmen/marines, put them on the aircraft, and tell them "at the sound of the tone, write down the readings on the five meters that have been assigned to you". After you land, have each one key his/her readings into a computer for you, then buy him/her a beer. Ebay most of the meters at $10. Total cost $1500 + beer. OK, the aircraft might not seat 30 extra personnel and/or it might affect the flight manuevers you want to do.

Matt Roberds

Reply to
mroberds

I found the folks with the specific test gear, and we have a plan. I'm going to have to take multiple samples, as the test gear only handles so much info in one shot. (I forgot the company name)...Drantis or somthing but they are supposed to be the industry leaders in power testing. Although, I do like your last idea the best!! LOL ....I can see it now.... Ok everyone 1..2...3....NOW ok, time to go home and drink. outstanding

Reply to
JB2