School Project: Help needed

All,

Can someone point me to the right direction. For an engineering class, I must design and create a project to help the blind using sonar/echolocation. Any websites or any direction at all would be useful.

Thanks in advance.

Bricket

Reply to
Bricket

Catch and train a bat.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Well, besides catching a bat,you could have a look at

Ben

Reply to
Benjamin Todd

That's a pretty broad subject, and not one that you're going to be able to tackle fully as a class project -- which means that what you're _really_ being asked to do is some little part of it.

First, I'd listen closely to what the prof has to say -- he may be giving you the parameters of the project without being explicit about it (I hate that).

Second, he wants you to do something with SONAR, probably ultrasonic. I'd web search on SONAR, ultrasonic, possibly 'ultrasonic range finding'.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Here is one with complete plans...

Good luck, Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

Reply to
Bricket

The teacher is interesed, I imagine in organizing the project from begining to end. Which mean that at least a crude apparatus must be built and functional. Believe it or not, he would like the thng to have a speech instead of relying on vibration or intensity of vibration like some commercial unit have.

thanks

Reply to
Bricket

I wonder if he's asked any of the intended users what *their* preferences might be. I'd think speech wouldn't be nearly as useful since it's simply so slow in providing feedback, but I wouldn't really know either.

I have been surprised that you see talking RF power & VSWR meters out there, and apparently they sell significant quantities!

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Hi Joel, Well, a lot of the stuff for the visually impaired finds its way into the 'normal' population. A few years ago, talking watches and calculators were all the rage, especially for kids! And, if I am tuning an RF stage, it can be right handy to be able to see which slug I'm turning without having to look at the meter... 8-)

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Edmondson

Speech is insane for a dumb unit. If it could say "there is a door to your left" reliably, then maybe not. But realistically, for a simple unit, all you're going to get is a range to nearest obstruction, and indication of how much nearby reflection there is. Speaking this every second or so is going to be very tiring to listen to. Not to mention less usable than vibration, where you can easily turn your head, and get a scan of the area.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

I have a suspicion the "requirement" for speech probably is just the professor's own, uhh... appreciation of speech synthesis or some such.

Many years ago for an opto-electronics lab I built a heartbeat detector based on an IR LED and phototransistor (you put your finger on it) and a bunch of fancy op-amps performing low-noise amplification, filtering and detection; it fed a flashing LED and a beeper every time it detected a beat. I showed it off at the appointed time, and the main feedback I received was, "nice... but shouldn't there be a digital readout of beats per minute!" Arrrrggh!

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

You should have added a one minute gate and told him it was for the blind to count the beeps so they would know their pulse rate. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

That would be a simple pressure sensor inserted into the anus of the seeing eye dog, then into an embedded PC for translation to human speech.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs