Major Help

What major should I take in college if I want to build iPods, dancing robots, cellphones, etc? Electrical Engennering? or Computer Engennering? or Something else?

Reply to
BoysBoysBoys

Spelling... :-)

They didn't have Computer Engineering when I was at school, but I managed a dual degree in Computer Science and Electrical Engineering. I can build things from scratch, then write the code to run 'em.

RB

Reply to
Rube Bumpkin

You want to do everything? Teams usually build this stuff including computer science, mechanical, electrical, EMI, enviormental, product design, and test engineers, all managed by a bunch of suits. So take you pick if you want to be part of the team.

Being an EE the biggest limitation I have in building, say an iPOD or robot by myself, is the mechanical packaging. Circuit wise an iPOD is mostly a system on chip surrounding by a design taken off a datasheet. But I don't have the knowledge/experience with the proper design tools to build the mechanical package (would have to hire someone to do that).

Reply to
steve

It does not matter. Wait till you get retired and then you can build anything you like.

Vladimir Vassilevsky

DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant

Vladimir Vassilevsky

Last year I couldn't spell engenner, now I are won.

--
Nobby Anderson
Reply to

Yestiddy I cudnt spell Injuneer, today I are wun.

Seriously, look for the basics. Maths and Physics last for a lifetime. Todays fads are gone tomorrow. 20 years from now iPods etc. will be valid subjects for alt.comp.folklore. Learning to think will also last.

CBFalconer

Good point. So when in school, find a way to get yourself into a campus machine shop and learn to do things. And try to get a little exposure to mechanical cad - CNC would be ideal (hey, it's just a programming language). Even if you end up having someone else to hand those tasks off to, it is good to understand a little bit of their world, their challenges, etc.

Reply to
cs_posting

LOL. I like your style.

Reply to