Re: The US Weather Bureau....

The US Weather Bureau has issued a WINTER storm warning for Arizona!

>As much as 1.5 FEET of snow is predicted for the higher elevations. >It's finally reached 70°F at 3:30PM in Phoenix... >and I finally got my pool wiring changes made between downpours ;-) > ...Jim Thompson

The first step to solving a problem is to blame someone or something. In this case, it's all the aerosols and particulates that burning forests, jet condensation trails, and fossil fuels has dumped into the atmosphere. Throw in a few volcanoes for good effect. All that causes "global dimming", general cooling, and may conceivably precipitate another ice age through loss of albedo:

While these were popular theories 30 years ago, the current consensus is that more research dollars and political power transfers can be accomplished through global warming studies, which has temporarily buried these theories. Like global warming, much of the evidence is anecdotal observations, such as your unseasonably cold weather. I think it's time to resurrect these theories.

I suggest you turn lemons into lemonade. With little effort, you can convert this weather incident into a major ecological and climatic movement. Instead of attempting to transfer wealth and political power through the study of greenhouse gases, you can do the same with studies of particulates, aerosols, dust, smog, and ash. A movie, showing dramatic but hazy images, predicting the impending demise of the planet through global glaciation, should be produced. Don't forget to mention that Mars has global dust storms. You may have to wait until Nov 2008 to get the loser of the next presidential election to narrate the film. I suggest you spend the time creating research grant proposals to attract eminent authorities and researchers. Predicting increased health issues through inhaling all this junk is easy enough. The tie in to global warming is easy enough. Dumping large amounts of dust into the atmosphere is the SOLUTION to global warming. Fight technology with more technology.

You can probably get the alleged financial victims of the global warming movement (oil companies) to support your cause. However, the money is in research, endless studies, satellites, speaking tours, publication rights, and influence peddling. It might even get someone a Nobel Peace Prize for global awareness and general promotion.

What's lacking is a catchy name. "Global Warming" and "Climate Change" have an alarmist apocalyptic ring to them. Something equally dramatic should be selected. "Global Dusting" just doesn't sound right. Although awkward, perhaps "Global Loss of Albedo" will suggest to the GUM (great unwashed masses) that this is a serious loss of something they never knew they had. Dunno. Hire a PR company.

As always, don't forget to conclude all publications with "More research is necessary" to insure continued funding.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote

LOSS of albedo? Don't think you meant that. Even if you did, you didn't.

Martin

Reply to
Fleetie

[snip]

Maybe tie it to libido ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

 Shrillary Clinton: Candidate of choice by the bigot states, thus
 by Clinton reasoning, the best candidate for the Democrat Party?

Sorry. I got it backwards. Too many things happening here at one time. "Albedo Rise" doesn't sound very alarmist. Perhaps "The War Against Dust" or "Global Dusting" (will Earth become another Mars?) might be useful. Perhaps the "War against Volcanoes" and "Help stop Global Volcanism" will open a whole new line of climatic research. Whatever is selected, it has to be catchy sounding, or nobody will pay attention (or pay money). Hire a PR firm.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Never mind. No Nobel Prize for you.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

But 'libido' is a good PR word ;-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | Does Shrillary fathom herself to be the next Manchurian Candidate?

No, it's not. That's why you don't see or hear it much in commercial advertising. It's too obvious. If you want to attach a connotation of sex to a product, it must be done subtley or it doesn't work. By subtle, I mean subliminally or below various sensory thresholds. In a past life, I slaved in a marketing research and advertising company, which did this kind of work.

Using words to sell and idea or concept is tricky, but quite possible. Professional authors do it by creating a mood. Publicists do it by projecting an "image" of someone or something. Politicians do it by creating an "angle" or "point of view". In this case, I'm trying to set you up as a future Nobel Prize candidate, and all you think about is sex. Somehow, the "Messiah of Dust" does not easily connect you with either ecology or sex and is certainly unworthy of a Nobel Prize. I expected you to campaign for global dust reduction so that you could use your swimming pool for something other than an ice ring. I'm disappointed.

Incidentally, this cigarette ad campaign failed miserably. They used a trailing acrostic (read the letters down the page). ITS THE BOX The problem was that it was too obvious and everyone saw the word "sex" in the layout. Nice try.

"Subliminal Messages Can Influence People In Surprising Ways"

Flag waving produces political moderation?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

(alt.binaries.schematics.electronic removed from Subject line.)

You might even get the guy who got the most people to vote for him (assuming that a party machine of one populous state again gets in the way of counting ALL the votes, marginalizing many of its citizens as well as its most populous county).

Anybody see Scalia's flip comments about that on "60 Minutes"? (Charlie Rose thought it was significant enough to run that excerpt on his chat show.) Need any more evidence that the Republic has run its course and is in rapid decline? Tom Friedman has been spot-on this month about

*why is it so warm and why are we in this handbasket?*.
*-2008
Reply to
JeffM

[snip]

Wait till a hip replacement brings YOU back to age 18 capability ;-)

...Jim Thompson

    There is no better demonstration of ignorance than that of
      a politician trying to explain scientific matters :-(

Global warming --> skimpier clothes. That's my hypothesis. Where's my funding?

--
Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.

Big deal. I don't have to chase them.

On the other hand, a bum hip could be a good excuse not to have to get on top and do all the work. ;-)

--
Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com
Have gnu, will travel.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

(...)

Nope. GBA = Game Boy Advanced. Battle for Volcano Island.

Kindly watch what you spew.

Incidentally, please go easy on the consumption of white space. The world supply of white space is rapidly being depleted. When we run out AllTheWordsWillRunTogether a fate far worse than global warming or cooling.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

You've got bigger problems than that because 'environmentalists' want your breath declared a 'pollutant' since you emit CO2.

Reply to
flipper

That would make for a good joke if it weren't for the military, for real, working on the development of lead free 'environmentally friendly' bullets.

Sounds like a Monty Python skit with a general looking over a flattened city and reassuring stunned citizens not to worry because the bullets/bombs were non toxic and will decay naturally. Which is more than we can say for the environmentally unfriendly city that used to be there.

Reply to
flipper

For our current project for delivery to the US Army, we are required to prove that the geneator can run on bio-diesel. We were given an exemption from making our access stairs and doors compliant with the American with Disabilites Act because most of our users will be active- duty soldiers, but we are required under the human factors requirements to show that the equipment can be operated by the standard 5% female soldier and the 95% male.

Our lightweight version, now in negotiation, will be solar-powered (at least in the daytime).

Reply to
Richard Henry