Re: Saint Francis of Assisi on 4-30-98

Kindly knock off the religious bull shit, or I'll seek you out and crucify you ;-)

[snip]

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

Hey, Jim, cut him some slack. He was talking about Francis the Sissy.

(And I can say that; my Confirmation name was Frances of Assisi and I have his statue with mylar pinwheels on it scaring birds out of my garden.)

Jim

-- "If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." --Henry Ford

RST Engineering (jw)

Hey, Jim, cut him some slack. He was talking about Francis the Sissy.

> >(And I can say that; my Confirmation name was Frances of Assisi and I have >his statue with mylar pinwheels on it scaring birds out of my garden.) > >Jim

I have nary a bit of a problem with how _anyone_ practices their religion, but proselytizing should be a criminal offense ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Would'ja accept a movement to canonize Widlar???

{;-)

Jim

-- "If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." --Henry Ford

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

Clearly you never met Widlar ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you."

Matthew 6:5-6

--
Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com
The blinking cursor writes; and having writ, blinks on.

No, Jim, I didn't. I'm about four or five years behind you and Widlar was out of the picture by the time I got out of school...or nearly so. That was

1967. Then six years in the aerospace industry before I founded the company, so I never got the pleasure, or if I did, I had no idea who he was.

The only place I could have crossed paths with him was Wescon and I don't ever remember that. I do remember meeting Bob Pease over there half a dozen times. We got into quite a discussion about the capacitance of the earth-moon combination.

Jim

--
"If you think you can, or think you can\'t, you\'re right."
        --Henry Ford

> Clearly you never met Widlar ?:-)
>
>                                        ...Jim Thompson
Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

HOw do you reconcile this passage with the one that has the admonition not to hide your light under a bushel?

Jim

-- "If you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." --Henry Ford

Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

That means don't conceal your talents or knowledge. Its not an admonition to pray or worship out loud.

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ Software Engineering is like looking for a black cat in a dark room. Systems Engineering is like looking for a black cat in a dark room in which there is no cat. Knowledge Engineering is like looking for a black cat in a dark room in which there is no cat and somebody yells, "I got it!"

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

How big of a cannon would you need?

-- Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my DD214 to prove it. Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell Central Florida

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Sez who? That's the real problem with the Bible, or any other religion's scripture: deciding which bits are meant to be literal, and which are metaphorical.

Reply to
Paul Burke

The next line: "Just so, your light must shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your heavenly Father."

The key there being 'deeds'. You demonstrate your character to others by what you do, not how loud you pray. There are other references to knowing a person by their deeds.

--
Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com
The blinking cursor writes; and having writ, blinks on.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

"It is not what goeth into the mouth of the man that defileth him, it is what cometh out. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

This one talks about prayer ... the other one talks about light ... Religious light NOT EQUAL to prayer.

Reply to
Klaus M.