Re: Compuserve closing, need to relocate website

you can point a domain name at any number of servers. your visitor's sofware will pick one of them at random. unless the servers have identical content it may be confusing for the.

for a real life example (of this confusion) try

(this domain is actually used for serving identical content from all servers, but it's not web content, just most servers do that also)

try it again tomorrow and you'll probably get a different website.

I don't know that there's a limit.

you may have to transfer the DNS hosting to another provider, but there's no problem having two servers on different IP addresses serving one domain name

eg: google does it.

the three type 'A' records are three servers probably in different locations.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Indeed!

three different services. Registration gets you a domain name Domain Name Service gets you the ability to associuate servers with the domain name - these can be web servers for web pages or SMTP servers for inbound emails (addressed to someone@your_domain) etc. Web servers serve web pages. most smalls sites can be put on a shared server that also serves pages for other domains too.

most registration providers offer DNS too, often at no, or low cost. same with most web providers. in some unusual cases it's better to move it to different server.

DNS record have expiry times attached. some servers give shorter expiry times (dyndns.org being one extreme example) but some servers igonore the expiry times given and keep them for 24 hours.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Mot in most cases if you intend to view web pages. many servers have a number of sites sharing a single IP address. if you go to the IP address you'll get a page put there by the authors of the web server, or the site's administrator.

however the hosts file will usually work in the interim (eg for testing the new server before the DNS record is updated) lots of good help on how to find and use the hosts file on the internet.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Yes you can still FTP from the command line in Windows XP. And I read today that MS is going to provide a copy of XP SP 3 with Windows 7. It'll run as a Virtual Machine but still, they're trying to make the transtion easier.

You sure can, but it's very old & clunky. CuteFTP is what I always recommend to Windows users.

Hrm. I just don't trust Microsofts ability to make a clean VM system.

   \\|/  \\|/     it is illegal to kill them."    Perna condita delenda est
Bob Larter

the

about

old

reason you

than way.

billbowden.com

hosting* to a

the

this is

companies

your web

the

transfer of

What's

and

since

them to

bit --

other times

then

time?

registration to

some period

instead

of course

handful

(when I'm

U.S.), but

have to

the U.S.

e.g.,

ctices-151623.html

ing.html

As state previously, read the fine print before signing. .

Reply to
JosephKK

way.

billbowden.com

to a

of

times

period

instead

course

handful

I'm

AT&T reminds me of that line from 'Rowan & Martin's Laugh In': "We don't care, we don't have to...we're the phone company".

Michael A. Terrell