Putin puts nuclear forces on high alert

If true, this makes for an extremely dangerous circumstance. The last thing anyone needs is to have an enormous number of hair trigger nuclear weapons on "high" alert. Even a fraction of a full scale exchange will end western civilization as we know it for a long time to come.

Fred Bloggs

Do not drive the Russians into a corner! In 2014, a civil war would have started in Russia if across Crimea and Sevastopol the boot of a NATO soldier walked. Now history has repeated itself. Listen and catch every word of Putin. He doesn't bluff. The Ukrainian attack on Donetsk and Luhansk was planned. Kyiv bombed them for 8 years. Current events suggest a match-fixing between Biden and Putin. The Ukrainian American project is closed and everything starts from scratch.

Reply to
Dmitriy Pshonkin

Some defect in human socialization lets insane people become in charge.

Maybe the finite human life span is nature's way of limiting that effect.

Reply to
jlarkin

It is. But in social sense there are better, human made, tools for that purpose. Like having up to two mandates etc. Psychopaths still make it regularly to positions in power but it takes time until they become confident enough and/or to gain complete control.

Russia is a country with medieval social structure, no wonder they constantly end up with some outright psychopath in charge. And they have nuclear capability, on top of that medieval social structure...

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

Says Russian Dmitriy Pshonkin? Russia has made it's own "corner" by insisting that what *it* wants is what the rest of the world should "accommodate".

There was a man with a funny little mustache who made similar demands ~80 years ago. Things didn't turn out well for him.

Don't you mean, "The incursion into Ukraine, through Donetsk and Luhansk, was planned (to buy time to move troops to more forward positions before triggering any sort of retaliation)?

On damn near every map that I can find, this is Ukrainian territory. Doesn't the Ukrainian government have a right to expel "hostiles"?

If the Chinese occupied Moscow, should Russian troops be allowed to bomb Moscow? St Pete?

I suspect the opposite is true. Russian has lost any hopes of "international prestige". Increasingly, Putin looks like someone who has "lost it".

Perhaps history will remember him as the man who presided over the demise of *Russia*, now that the Soviet Union is gone...

We may be seeing the start of Russia as a vassal of *China* (as China clearly has the upper hand in that relationship, at the moment). I wonder what they'll want as collateral for any loans they extend once Russia burns through its hard currency? Maybe the regions bordering Mongolia? For starters...

Reply to
Don Y

It takes the COMPLICITY (or complacency) OF OTHERS to gain any measure of control.

Reply to
Don Y

Am 27.02.22 um 19:05 schrieb snipped-for-privacy@highlandsniptechnology.com:

Wow! That from a Trump fan!

Putler's corticoid face suggests his time is limited.

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

It does, and the thing is most if not all of those looking for a career in and around offices of power are exactly the type of "others" you refer to.

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

He may have a point with that. We'll know soon. If Biden and Putin have prearranged it all and Zelenskiy is the figure in their way - the man did not flee, he is with his people in Kiev - on the meeting which is to take place at the Belorussian border now for which Biden promised protection (probably surveillance/warnings etc.) they will betray him and have him killed. To be seen... I sincerely hope this is not the case.

Reply to
Dimiter_Popoff

Er... Russia is a large country, not a corner. If they export troops, warplanes, artillery... and death, those exports should be rejected. As to 'Russians', they needn't be driven, if they keep to their large country.

Nor tell truth, nor limit his imperious influence to his home country. His words have less value than most, and his actions invite suppression; there's no value in accommodating a megalomaniac.

Reply to
whit3rd

The US sensibly has term limits for President and most governers and mayors. We need term limits for all politicians.

There was a recent study that shows that politicians get worse as they age and learn the power game. Makes sense.

I'd guess that a randomly selected plumber would be a better than average senator or president.

Reply to
jlarkin

I never claimed to be a Trump fan. He's a repulsive jerk, but as an amateur has a lot more common sense than the lifetime-power-monger alternatives.

Biden is the classic politician who has done nothing in his life but be a politician. And of course he got rich doing that.

It's dumb to elect politicians or brain surgeons based on whether you like them or not.

Reply to
jlarkin

Of course Putin also realizes that if he tried to start a nuclear war that his generals, etc., would simply stop him. He would have an unexpected heart attack. Possibly from some sharp, handy object.

It is simply another bluff.

John

Reply to
John Robertson

I suspect Putin will either use this to "get a trace on him" (easier to find someone when you KNOW where he is at a point in time), or...

Invite him to carry a bit of Polonium back on (in) his person!

In the 21st century, there is never a need for a face-to-face meeting. (unless you want to be absolutely sure no one knows what is said *in* it -- like the orange clown).

Reply to
Don Y

So drink some bleach, and fill yourself up with chlorquinine.

As opposed to Trump, who made any number of people bankrupt.

Not that John Larkin knows enough to do it any other way.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

The delusional maniac knows there's risk that he'll deposed, and then either imprisoned for life, or executed, so he wants to take the rest of the world with him in WW3.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

I spent some time in the USSR. The Russians are basically nice people, but they fear and respect authority too much; well, the fear is justified.

So Russians tend to have a tight circle of friends and family that they think they can trust. Centuries of brutality does that.

Reply to
jlarkin

Sorry, exactly which delusional maniac are you referring to?

With the language people use to discuss politics in this group, it's hard to say.

Reply to
Rick C

Of course Putin is going to win. No one else is going to actually involve their own troops to fight on behalf of the Ukranians. Various countries will send arms and supplies and take various political actions, but nothing more. This literally could develop into WWIII if they did.

So, even if it drags out a bit, it won't be long before Ukraine is in Russian control. You can expect the surrounding countries like Poland to beef up their militaries and expect support from other European countries, just as the various counties controlled by Russia will band together. Reminds me of something... I can't quite place my finger on it.

Reply to
Rick C

Putin.

There was never the remotest possibility that NATO would invade Russia.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else