*** RED ALERT *** EVIDENCE IN DANGER *** RED ALERT ***

This should set off some alarm bells:

I call for more safe storage technologies !

Where not the number of bits matter but the number of bits that can be corrupted and still be recovered matter !

Technology that does it's utter best to recover as much as possible no matter what ! ;)

Bye, Skybuck.

Reply to
Skybuck Flying

Speaking of evidence in danger..

How do you 'nail' a person who believes in creationism? I mean... What can you say to a creationist to make them feel like a mental case. Best I've come up with so far is: "Fossil beats bible". (Rock beats paper.)

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

..

How about singing the song "My faith is better than your faith"

Reply to
bulegoge

Its impossible to actually disprove, since an all-powerful god could have arranged things any way he liked, falsified the evidence, buried fake dinosaur fossils etc. Or created the universe as-is 3 seconds ago for all we know, fake memories and all.

But for me the best argument would be that if if you *believe* god did any of these, he's effectively lying - and who are we to doubt his word?

[...]
--

John Devereux
Reply to

Science is not a faith. Faith is believing in airy fairy stuff. Some of it makes people feel good for stupid reasons. ('Ohhh I feel so special...I was made by god.' ) Faith is like a software virus that exploits the built in survival instincts of seeking knowledge, acceptance of others and order.

Science is knowledge from experimenting, math, reasoning and logic. It's a process and there are rules. Mathematically 1+1=2 and that's final and everyone agrees. There's no talking serpents, naming animals, Eve acting like an idiot and a God that needs anger management and better communication skills.

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

That's so messed up..

That's like saying anything impossible to prove is godlike?

I say anything impossible to prove is just that...impossible to prove. Their are concepts that are impossible to prove.. That doesn't mean God exists.. It just means people are getting imaginative. It could be called a mystery, unknown, indeterminate or improbable but not godly..

What I find laughable is that some people don't even understand their religion.. I tell those people, 'Don't switch to atheism. You certainly won't understand the science..'

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

Correct.

"Acceptance of others "?!

What scienctific fact is this based upon? There you go again mixing science and your special brand of religion.

"and order" ?! What the heck are you talking about. Like maybe Spike Jones song " we bring the world to order..." ?

So your "sciene" involves "acceptance of others" ? On whose terms? - oh yeah, I forgot, since you are a "scientific" person, then those conditions of acceptance can be defined by - YOU.

Yes, being "scientific" does give one special priveledges.

I have never met a person of faith that disputes the provable tenets of science and math.

Nope, just monkeys that through the "Miracle of science" turned into human beings.

And the global warming hoax, that if we do not embrace, will result in the utter destruction of mankind. (Sounds like religion to me)

Reply to
bulegoge

[...]

The idea is that you will never get someone to just give up their belief in god. But perhaps it might be possible to show them creationism is inconsistent with their own beliefs ("god is truth" for example).

You can't reason with someone whose argument boils down to "reason doesn't count".

--

John Devereux
Reply to

I had a recent episode of dueling letters-to-the-editor, dueling with a school teacher yet, where she opined, when confronted by things she had trouble understanding, she'd fall back to "common sense" rather than trusting a scientific explanation :-(

...Jim Thompson

If I understand correctly... Would that be like:

1+1 = 3
Reply to
D from BC

[snip]

On average, how many years of marriage does it take one to come to this conclusion?

-- Paul Hovnanian mailto: snipped-for-privacy@Hovnanian.com

------------------------------------------------------------------ In the force if Yoda's so strong, construct a sentence with words in the proper order then why can't he?

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Believe me, the 'From:' field in the message header has already set off plenty!

Dyslexics have more fnu.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Ok, lets go at it from the other direction. How can you 'prove' that evolution, 'as explained in the textbooks' has occured. I mean, without the usual "Well, EVERYONE knows that it did!" lack of logic.

You look at the world today, and you see what animals are around. You look at fossils, and you see what appears to be parts of animals that aren't around anymore. You also see parts of animals, that appear somewhat similiar to animals that are aound today. So you hypothesize : The animals today must have 'evolved' from the older forms to the forms we see today.

Nice hypothesis, but How do you prove it? Unless you get a nice, working time machine, you only have very intermittent and spotty evidence of prior forms. You also really need a good mechanism for how and why the changes occur. Unfortunately, outside of elementary texts, you don't have either of these things. Many of the 'chains' of evolved creatures that have been proposed have been discredited. A whole lot of them are like the South Park gnomes - We start here, and we see this, and then something happens and you find Profit! the final form.

Now, I am not saying that evolution didn't happen. What I am saying is that it sure ain't as cut and dried a fact as it is usually advertised. It is kinda like AGW, 'Everyone' just knows it is true, just don't look at the facts...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

It's a choice between two bowls of shit. The evolution bowl or the creationism bowl..

The creationism bowl constantly stinks up the room with the same intensity. The evolution bowl stinks less and less as more evidence keeps coming in.

I picked the less smelly bowl. The creationism bowl needs a box of air freshers. The evolution bowl just needs a puff of perfume.

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

[...]

[...]

I think it is customary here to distinguish between the *theory* of evolution, and the *fact* of evolution. Evolution is a *fact* - as far as such a thing is ever possible, if you exclude false-evidence-planting-gods and universe-created-3-seconds-ago scenarios. It is a fact that life "evolved" from simpler to more complex forms over a long time, as indicated in the fossil record and in many other ways.

There is also the *theory* of evolution. This is the *explanation* of the fact of evolution, how it actually happened. I.e., the theory of "random" mutation of inheritable traits, and natural selection of these - "survival of the fittest".

The exact details here are still open to debate, for example I gather it has recently been discovered that sharing of genes between different species was quite common, enabling adding a lot of speed and flexibility to the process.

(The above is just my own understanding, after following these debates before - so I'll stop now.)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Yup...evidence makes something factual.

When there's no evidence people seem to like making shit up. That's how I think the religions formed. Whaaaaa.....I dunno how that works...Must be god. Whaaaa...I dunno why...Must be god..That's nice. whaaa whaaa whaaaa..

How about a religion called: Idunnology

My really good guess which makes more sense than 'magic fairy dust' is that we're a species so craving knowledge that we'll make up the most unprovable fantastic shit to make the kids shut up.

Merry Christmas... btw... Birth of Jesus ..That's not the main thought nowadays.. Christmas has evolved... Sorry Christians but atheists have ripped this idea and it's now the 'wtf I'm another year older and I have to buy shit..holiday'

Creationism is bandaids for the mind.

D from BC myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com British Columbia Canada

Reply to
D from BC

[...]

Also known as the "god of the gaps". Early on, the world was a complete mystery, and the "explanation" for everything was "god did it". But the problem with the god of the gaps is that the gaps are always shrinking...

We are evolved(!) to see patterns, and come up with explanations for things. When we have the right explanation, we are able to dominate the environment around us, farm, be better hunters etc. And if the "explanations" for the remaining mysteries are meaningless... well at least they stop you from worrying too much about it.

[...]
--

John Devereux
Reply to

"Evolution is really the only intelligent way to create a universe anyway. ;-)"

And can you show me any "scientific evidence" that there _wasn't_ an "intelligent creator"? >:->

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Can you show me any "scientific evidence" that there wasn't a flying spaghetti monster?

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Does that translate to: Where is God's nonexistence evidence???

The more that something doesn't exist the more it lacks evidence.

1/infinity = God

There are many things that cannot be proven. And their are some things very hard to prove.

357 years for someone to make a proof! When that was unprovable.. it didn't mean unicorns exist.

Unprovable = unknown

When something is unknown it proves there's a problem. A problem doesn't mean God exists.

It's dum to go filling in the blanks with imaginative airy fairy stories of an omnimax entity with the power to baffle it's created inferior creatures..

Here's a thought experiment..

[ ]
Reply to
D from BC