prototype

Nice.

Constantan with Cu makes a type T thermocouple, of course, so it generates a relatively large potential of about 40uV/K difference near room temperature. Manganin is about 40 times better (but still quite noticable in some situations). IIRC, Phosphor-bronze 510 is about 20 times better (~2uV/K).

Constantan and (especially) Manganin have the advantage of low TCR.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Yeah, that clean-room assembly slows things down.

Most pure metals run about 150,000 k/w per ohm. Constantan is actually worse, only about 102K. Manganin's about the same. But their thermal conductivity is 20 times worse than copper, so they are handy for stuff like this.

Some brasses apparently do better, around 250K, but "brass" is poorly defined.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

rBeforeAss...

tail.jpg

t -

Nice. Is the idea that you put the thermal control circuitry right on the cold plate so that you (at least) don't have to worry about it's TC?

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

The little board on the cold plate will be the integrating servo amp, so the TC offsets will get tracked out eventually.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

us

.
.
.

quoted text -

I like Phosphor bronze (PB) too. (it's non-magnetic to boot.) I can't find constantan in my MWS wire catalog, but Manganin has ~30 times the resistivity of Cu whereas PB is only 5 or 6. (And of course we all know that thermal resistivity follows with electrical... at least apporoximately. (for metals))

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

jig:

Styrofoam)

offsets:

loop

It gets rid of drift and thermocouple offsets to leading order, at least if you put the integrating servo on the cold plate.

That's probably overkill for this application, but I had to put it someplace, and that was the best place available.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

quoted text -

Copper is actually the champion for electrical vs thermal conductivity, but it's bad enough working with 3 mil wire, and getting down to sizes where copper's heat leak is sufficiently small is a problem.

The big advantage of constantan for this job is that it's solderable.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Yes, and too much R and our old friends Johnson and Nyquist may come to visit and make too much noise.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Oh, I was thinking Phil wanted lots of R, it's only a little bit of wire. (I hadn't thought about noise.) I wish there was a copper alloy with more resistivity. With Phosphur bronze I sometimes feel it's a tug-of-war between strength and resistance.

Reply to
George Herold

Manganin is solderable too, just not as easily. It's nothing like as bad as nichrome.

In another age, I wound hundreds (maybe a couple thousand in total) custom manganin resistors to calibrate precision instruments (each one different!). Soldered with Kester 44, IIRC. These days, I'd probably try one of the agressive stainless steel fluxes if the wire gave any trouble.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Hmm.. copper-plated 316 SS? No idea if it's actually available, but I've used Cu-plated Fe wire a fair bit.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I've not seen copper plated stainless, copper plated steel wire is used for MIG welding, also for co-ax inners.

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

rse

"The Journey is the reward"

eff.com- Hide quoted text -

Well I do have an old roll of SS coax from lakeshore. The shield is ~5 ohms/foot and the center ~30 ohms per foot. So maybe just some thin stainelss. PITA to solder.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Grin... I found out about copper plated steel coax the hard way. (A 'screwed up' magnetic field.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold