Quote of the Day

Quote of the day:

"Whatever you give a woman, she will make greater. If you give her sperm, she'll give you a baby. If you give her a house, she'll give you a home. If you give her groceries, she'll give you a meal. If you give her a smile, she'll give you her heart. She multiplies and enlarges what is given to her. So, if you give her any crap, be ready to receive a ton of shit."

Sent to me by a female associate in the Girl Scout biz ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Don't give her a donkey, or she'll serve you a really tough steak.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Michael A. Terrell

Actually learned some really good cooking gimmicks from the Girl Scouts... like burying a prepped foil-wrapped dinner with charcoal... slow cooks all day... makes the most tender roast beef ;-)

...Jim Thompson

The Boy Scouts used to stick it under the hood of the vehicle on the way to the campground and cook it with waste heat from the intake manifold. Beef, potatoes, carrots and onions. were cut up and wrapped in several layers of aluminum foil. It was called a hobo pack. It took about an hour to cook. It was slow cooked, and kept most of the juices. If the drive was shorter, just leave it under the hood till it was done cooking. That way you had a hot meal as soon as you had set up camp, and didn't have to wait till the fire was ready.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.
Michael A. Terrell

Shouldn't that be the exhaust manifold?

--
Boris
Reply to

If you hook it to the exhaust, you can get charcoal for your efforts. The OP is probably talking pre EFI cars. The intake gets plenty hot on a lot of older cars.

God bless scouting, even its wimped down current form with kids taking cell phones and laptops on campouts.

I recently went to my scoutmasters "retirement dinner". I was Eagle #

1 , it was nice to meet Eagle # 18. He's been cranking out about 1 a year. Not bad for a rural area and a troop averaging 10 scouts.

I'm very curious how many SED posters are eagle scouts, the girl scout equal rank , or were just in Scouting.

Steve

Reply to
osr

I only made if to "Life", then headed off to M.I.T.

I don't think there's any such thing in Girl Scouts, though I AM a registered Girl Scout (adult volunteer, cookie sales manager) ;-)

My wife's troop (Juniors in HS) are called Ambassadors.

I was a "Den Chief" (Boy Scout assistant to a (Cub) Den Mother) for many years.

...Jim Thompson

I made it to star, although in my case the troop disintegrated... we started with perhaps 12 guys, many of whom were probably a good 3-4 years older than me. After about a year, the scoutmaster moved, which caused a lot of the older kids to to drop out. The next scoutmaster was a pretty cool guy, being into mountain climbing with ropes and all. At that point, it was 2 older kids -- his son and one other guy -- along with perhaps 5 of us younger kids... but after about another year he too ended up moving. Finally, then, it was just the us 5 younger kids, with Yet Another Scoutmaster. I ended up as senior patrol leader due to attrition, and while the troop kept going for another two years, the emphasis turned more to just having campouts and not worrying too much about "official" scouting advancements (or recruitment!)... eventually we even stopped wearing our shirts to meetings. By the end of those two years, we'd dwinded down to about 3 kids, at which point it was the troop was officially disbanded.

Still, it was a great ~3-4 years, and I'm quite glad I was in it. I initially picked that particular troop because the other two options were a really huge troop (over 50 kids -- had their own school bus for campouts) -- too many for my comfort -- and the troop my brother had been in, which he hadn't liked that much and that didn't seem to have nearly the frequency of campouts that the troop I joined did. In retrospect, perhaps the huge troop would have been a better bet, but who knows?

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Sheesh, the "huge troop of over 50" when I was kid now has well over 100! -->

Hmm... I'm sure I was born older than the kids in those pictures...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Our Explorer troop did a lot of camping in the wilds of WV... one time I even shot the rapids of the Cheat River... feet first, without benefit of a canoe ;-)

Our Explorer troop was sponsored by the police department, so I learned crowd control using the long baton... probably come in handy when the leftist weenies become revolting ;-)

...Jim Thompson

It catches up to you. Just got an E-mail that another of my high school classmates died :-(

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

I believe Eric Holder will be outlawing their usage soon, you know. :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

I started out in troop 42 in Pawtucket, RI and moved to troop 13 Providence.

42 was a family affair. 13 was much more fun.

Not me. I hate having to go somewhere and being told what to do. They didn't even want me in the army for that reason!

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

was "just in" for a while.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

I got about six merit badges short of Eagle when I found out about girls.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

[smirk] I was 17 before I figured that out :-(

Be prepared...

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

I was only a Life scout. Figured that if I ever actually made Eagle, I would be done with the whole thing, and I was having too much fun!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

My troop back then had roughly 50 kids, in four patrols. We didn't have a school bus, but we did have a custom trailer that hauled all our stuff, like tents, dutch ovens, cookware, etc. Over the years, I was everything from grunt to senior patrol leader, but did best as second in command.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.