PFMEA

One of our customers did us the honor of declaring us to be a critical supplier. The reward is a 30-page quality audit checklist and a multi-day on-site audit of our quality systems.

Most of the stuff on the checklist we don't even understand. Heck, we usually don't even understand the syntax, much less the meaning.

Like, we are supposed to have a PFMEA process procedure. So I looked it up...

This is one of over 200 requirements.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Sounds like something designed by managers for managers to justify needing managers, MBAs, PMPs, et al. If they'd just restrict themselves to taking care of the books and keeping the lights on.

Perhaps a separate price structure for "commercial grade" and "PFMEA certified grade" components?

Reply to
Rich Webb

Big companies just set up an internal structure to interface with that kind of requirement. It acts as a barrier to entry to small up & coming competitors, for obvious reasons, so it actually enhances their profitability.

You can probably grind through the stuff with one or two people and get it done, with or without the services of a consultant. From my experience with formal PM, once you get a handle on the "special" terminology the rest isn't all that challenging.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

That article is written by a psychopathic bs-artist and certifiable moron.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Look on the positive side... maybe Larkin will make an ass of himself (easy for him) and the agency will shut him down ;-) ...Jim Thompson

But my customer wants this PFMEA stuff! And about 199 more.

Can you imagine actually doing all that stuff?

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

The certification augments the value proposition.

Spehro Pefhany

n.

You can whip this out in no time. This looks like a good site:

Then there are software programs that help you fill in the blanks to genera te the hierarchy of block diagrams and forms needed for the finished produc t, a notebook full of stuff no one will ever look at again. If it's governm ent related then the thickness of the notebook counts most, contents not so much.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

Here are the PHB solutions :-)

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Looks worse than the babblese the IPC produces.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

the hierarchy of block diagrams and forms needed for the finished product, a notebook full of stuff no one will ever look at again. If it's government related then the thickness of the notebook counts most, contents not so much.

75 page Kindle edition for $10.

Demonstrates How To Perform FMEAs Step-by-Step

Includes Ready-to-Use Worksheet Templates

"Unlike other improvement tools, FMEA does not require complicated statistics. However, they require a full commitment to quality and a willingness to take a team approach that involves all stakeholders."

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

the hierarchy of block diagrams and forms needed for the finished product, a notebook full of stuff no one will ever look at again. If it's government related then the thickness of the notebook counts most, contents not so much.

What does that mean? Let's all hold hands and feel warm and cozy... and everything will be OK? ...Jim Thompson

oron.

htm

erate the hierarchy of block diagrams and forms needed for the finished pro duct, a notebook full of stuff no one will ever look at again. If it's gove rnment related then the thickness of the notebook counts most, contents not so much.

It's a 2009 product so may not be fully up to date. I don't see that they m ake a distinction between D-FMEA and P-FMEA, looks like it's mainly D-FMEA.

Reply to
bloggs.fredbloggs.fred

More like, 'Pretend to know what you're doing & fake the paperwork.'

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Hire a Quality guy.

Martin Riddle

Yup, we could try that.

One of my bigger customers demanded that we be ISO-9000, until I pointed out to them that they aren't. That seemed to annoy them some.

If a 1-man company did all the quality stuff that these people want, and complied with all the city/state/fed laws, he'd need about a dozen QC and accounting and legal staff.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Well, you might see what they say if you tell them "if you like our products, buy them. We are not going to spend several thousand $ complying with your outrageous certification process."

I am a REALLY small business, just me. One of my customers wanted me to go through ISO-9001 certification, and I told them I couldn't afford it. They still buy from me.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

When the customer uses your equipment, is there any possibility of harm? Such as, does this gear control a motion system? if it is just lab gear for testing some product, then I don't see the need for hazard analysis.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Heh, you would end up like Dilberts firm !!

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Just wondering out loud... has anyone sent this to the patent office? :)

On a serious note, I hope you're getting "critical supplier pay" for this stuff!!

-mpm

Reply to
mpm