wave and rider

This is the signal I hope to create:

both the frequency of the blue wave and the frequency of the red rider wave are adjustable.

I came up with the equation for the wave using vector calculus, but it is unlikely that the math decoder can crunch out a signal in real time at the press of a key.

x(t) = t + (6*cos(t))*(0.5*(sin( 25*sin(t) ))*(1/((1+36*((cos(t))^2))^.5))) y(t) = 6*sin(t) - (0.5*(sin( 25*sin(t) ))*(1/((1+36*((cos(t))^2))^.5)))

any ideas?

Jon

Reply to
Jon

It doesn't loop back on itself, so you're going to have a difficult time drawing that on an X-Y plot.

Tim

Tim Williams

...just use a polarity inverter on the time axis.

Reply to
Robert Baer

On a sunny day (Fri, 25 Jan 2013 01:07:26 -0500) it happened "Jon" wrote in :

Backward in time? The waves with a knot in them are the most difficult. Try an xy scope :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

ave

he

.5)))

)

Yeah I'm confused by what he means by signal.

Reply to
George Herold

"Jon" wrote in news:zipMs.105310$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe04.iad:

Ah!! you want a signal to back and forth in time!!

At last timetravel in both directions solved!!

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

If it's a wiggly line on something that looks like a scope screen, then it must be a signal.

(Jon: signals and functions are closely related. If your signal isn't a function in time, then it's not a signal, either. That "signal" has more than one value of y for most values of x. So while it is a valid curve, as plotted it isn't really a signal).

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

Jon

It is multivalued for various t how exactly do you expect your hardware to output more than one voltage at a single port?

That one is carefully chosen so that y(t) vs x(t) has only one value.

You need to think very carefully about what it is you are trying to do. The parametric curve in t of x(t), y(t) exists but if a slice for constant T0 cuts that curve in several places you have a big problem.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown