PCIe card with FPGA and DAC

I got a call from a really nice guy who has a tiny company in the Bahamas. Our gear is too expensive for his application, but it could be done with a PCIe PC-plugin board that has an FPGA and a fast DAC. It would need analog bandwidth in the 30 MHz range, maybe 100M samples/sec or so. He would need help to program the FPGA, since the signal set that he needs to generate is kind of weird, but not actually super complex.

So, does anybody know of an existing board that would work? I'd expect that lots of people make stuff like this and are used to helping customers customize them. We're talking tens of systems here, not enough for a custom board design.

I'll do a little googling myself, but I thought I'd ask.

 Click to see the full signature

Den tirsdag den 9. juni 2015 kl. 00.32.36 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:

does it have to be pcie?

else,

EURO 199, zynq7010, dual adc/dac 125Ms/14bit

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Theres a MAX 10 dev board, but its USB 2.0 NI comes to mind, they had a PCIe FPGA board to go with their LabView FPGA complier.

MCCdaq comes up empty.

Martin Riddle

bittware ???

Martin Riddle

That might work. He needs some fast realtime (roughly 10 us) digital control of pre-programmed analog stuff, but that might be done through that 8-bit digital port, with a cable from a parallel interface board in his PC. Vaguely like hitting piano keys.

Thanks

 Click to see the full signature

Sounds like a video card. no FPGA, but you get oodles of RAM and a massively parallel GPU. dunno if the DAC has enough bits or not.

Jan did DVB-S in CPU software with VGA output.

--
umop apisdn
Reply to

That would be nice to see! Do you have a link?

Reply to
Tomas D.

On a sunny day (Tue, 9 Jun 2015 22:31:08 +0100) it happened "Tomas D." wrote in :

Are you talking about me? Dunno about 'VGA' output, but I did a DVB-S encoder + transmitter on the Raspberry Pi.

There is a guy who made test cards using the graphics card, but that only works for pre-encoded still pictures, receivin gan harmonic IIRC. Sort of a wave form generator... and he did not release source either.

So anyways I took the DVB-S spec, wrote the encoder myself, and released source, the first hardware was very simple, but works 100 %:

Funny I was the first one in this side of the universe to release DVB-S encoder source code..

There is a later version now with better hardware. That will be used for sat uplink, well some code etc was posted here, it is sitting on a table waiting for the sat.

Credits for the hardware go to a lot of other people, see website.

On VGA, so if you need a fast 8 bit DAC, there are 3.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

He ordered the Red thing to play with. He did find an alternate board that costs 30x as much.

 Click to see the full signature