oz time

I see times like 06:00:00oz. What is oz?

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

lunatic fringe electronics

Australia?

Reply to
Bill Martin

I.E "The land of OZ" sand, flies, and laid back people.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Maybe a bastardization of this...

In which case, it would be a zero, not an "Oh".

Reply to
mpm

"offset zero" perhaps or "Zulu" time, aka UTC

Reply to
bitrex

Time is GMT+5 to GMT+8 depending on which side of Oz.

Reply to
Waussie

You do get flies by the bushel full in Oz. (At least around Perth where I visited.) You need something to eat all those flies.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

something like tomato sauce? :)

Reply to
tabbypurr

OK, googling 0Z onstead of OZ made the difference.

OZ just got me stuff about Australia and Dorothy and talking lions. 0Z is GMT.

Has anyone been to the Royal Observatory in Greenwich? Worth the trip. You can stand with two feet in different hemispheres. You can walk over or under the Thames from London.

lunatic fringe electronics

And all the wildlife trying to kill you.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It is a nice relaxed area by a park on top of a small hill with views over London.

The clocks are worth seeing, but probably not worth going to see - unless you are a timenut or a mechanical engineer or in the area for the other attractions.

There's a lot of maritime history in easy walking distance (about the same size as some US shopping mall car parks :) ) There are many buildings and some boats and ships.

The Cutty Sark used to be remarkable, the last of the tea clippers. But it had a serious fire and I'm not sure of the current state. If you like that kind of thing, then the SS Great Britain in Bristol is worth seeing it is the first iron ship with a screw prop, and the first steamship to cross the Atlantic (in 1845).

Reply to
Tom Gardner

London is cool, way better than Paris. There is a wonderful aviation museum a short train ride north.

Oxford is magical.

lunatic fringe electronics

I've never made it to Hendon, much to my annoyance, but I have been to its sister museum RAF Cosford, out in the boondocks. IWM Duxford south of Cambridge is also worth seeing, especially the SR71.

I presume you've seen the Pitt-Rivers museum with its eclectic mix of very non-PC exhibits.

Generally I've always preferred Cambridge, except for the lack of trees and contours :) It is smaller, less industrial and more academic.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Does it still have its engines? There's an A12 on the Intrepid in NYC Harbour, but there's nothing but air in the nacelles.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Perhaps. Perhaps not...

--

Jeff
Reply to

John Larkin wrote

I have lived in London for a long time, never got around to see attractions...

Never been there.

London was nice, seems to be more violent these days.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

Someone should invent a hollow blimp like an airborne basking shark that cruises around sucking the flies into artificial baleen plates...

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon

That line in the courtyard should be the definition of 0 degrees longitude.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Yes, but they are on display outside the aircraft:

The engines were still there when I visited Duxford in August last year. Over 40 years ago I was lucky enough to see an SR-71 practising its display over the USAF air base at Alconbury in 1976, prior to the air show at USAF Lakenheath later that day.

Duxford is by far the best air museum I have ever visited - you need a full day to go round all the hangars there (there are 8 of them; the first and last are well over half a mile apart!). If you do get to visit, perhaps the best thing to do is queue (it could take an hour...) to get on board the Avro Lancaster. I never realised just how cramped it is inside.

--

Jeff
Reply to

Looks like they are underneath it: