2 oz copper

Is it reasonable to spec 2 oz copper on a pcb with 8/8 design rules?

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

That depends on the PCB house. This one appears to be able to do it:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I found this, too:

8/8 at 2 oz is OK with them.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

It's feasible, you just can't use the discount shops in the boonies of Guangdong Province for this.

My layouter tends to default to 0.008". I always tell him to set it to

0.012" and fall back to smaller structures only when really needed. Even for 1/2oz.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Yeah, 8 is a nice trace. The board I'm doing now is all 8/8, but I have 150 amps sloshing around, all tangled with signal stuff, so 2 oz helps. I spent half the night dreaming about various ground loops.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Yup. Manufacturabilty.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Or about something going bzzzzt like this:

We had an evap cooler motor put on a show like that.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

--
Smart.
Reply to

Smart as long as it is not a difficult board to layout. Manually dropping trace widths in tight areas is labor intensive. If the board is simple you will only need to do it once. But if it is a hard board to layout, you may need to redo any given section of board multiple times. Then you want to minimize layout time by going right to the appropriate trace width from the get go without manual intervention. I suppose there might be features to help you with this in some tools but not in the layout program I use.

--

Rick
Reply to

Brochuer seems to indicate 5/5 capability, which has been "standard" for most fab houses for at least 5 years.

Reply to
Robert Baer

John Larkin schrieb:

Hello,

you may get special boards for high currents. Tracks 8 mils wide for signals with 1.4 mils copper thickness and wide tracks for high currents with 2.7 or more copper thickness.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

At 2oz for the outer layers. For 1/2oz they can do under 0.003" features. That is pretty impressive to a regular PCB house.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On the same layer? Selective plating?

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

John Larkin schrieb:

Hello,

yes, on the same layer. The thin normal and the special high current traces are plated first as usually, the board is etched and then another galavanic plating to reinforce the traces for high current. It may be done by connecting all high current traces to the edges of the board, but there may be other ways to do this.

We did that here at our local pcb fab at the university, but I know of several german pcb manufacturers who deliver this kind of boards.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Anybody recall if Zenith would have taken a board back in that condition as part of their module swap program?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

easier to leave the MOT in the microwave :)

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts