Es'hail 2 SpaceX launch with the first amateur radio payload to fly in geostationary orbit...

Es'hail 2 SpaceX launch with the first amateur radio payload to fly in geostationary orbit planned for today.

Been working to get my 10.4 GHz rubidium referenced sat receiver up
and running for this.
Not a day too early, as SpaceX launch window is today:
 https://www.spacex.com/webcast

From:
 https://spaceflightnow.com/launch-schedule/
<quote>
Launch window: 2046-2229 GMT (3:46-5:29 p.m. EST)
Launch site: LC-39A, Kennedy Space Center, Florida
A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the Es'hail 2 communications satellite.
Built by Mitsubishi Electric Corp. and owned by Qatar's national satellite communications company Es'hailSat,
Es'hail 2 will provide television broadcasts, broadband connectivity and government services
to Qatar and neighboring parts of the Middle East, North Africa and Europe.
Es'hail 2 also carries the first amateur radio payload to fly in geostationary orbit.
Delayed from August. Delayed from Nov. 14.
<end quote>

If it all goes right I will have to do some LNB replacements in my sat dish in the now upcoming freezing cold here..
Am a bit curious if I will be able to receive the thing,

So launch window is between 21:46 and 23:29 CET.

Re: Es'hail 2 SpaceX launch with the first amateur radio payload to fly in geostationary orbit planned for today
Eshail2:    polarity horizontal

Uplink:
Narrow band      2400.05    to   2400.3 MHz
center           2400.175   MHz

Wide band        2401.5     to   2409.5 MHz
center           2405.5     MHz

Downlink:
Narrow band     10489.55    to  10489.8 MHz
center          10489.675   MHz

Wide band       10491       to  10499   MHz
center          10495       MHz

Re: Es'hail 2 SpaceX launch with the first amateur radio payload to fly in geostationary orbit planned for today

What's the transmit power from the satallite?

Re: Es'hail 2 SpaceX launch with the first amateur radio payload to fly in geostationary orbit planned for today

We'll let you know once we figure out what a satallite is...

Re: Es'hail 2 SpaceX launch with the first amateur radio payload to fly in geostationary orbit planned for today
On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 15:46:33 -0800 (PST),

You'd be a great grammar school marm. All you need is a hair bun and a
red pencil and some sensible shoes.

Re: Es'hail 2 SpaceX launch with the first amateur radio payload to fly in geostationary orbit planned for today

It's of no importance to NA. The coverage area limits are defined by 0o dish pointing angle (tall building). https://ukamsat.files.wordpress.com/2018/11/amsat-uk_eshail-2_transponder_info.pdf OP is mentally challenged.

Re: Es'hail 2 SpaceX launch with the first amateur radio payload to fly in geostationary orbit planned for today

Not so much data available, but this
 https://www.qsl.net/zs6bte/Satellite DXCC using Es'hail 2 satellite.htm
site says:
 The amateur X-band downlink will use one or more of the satellite's Ku-band TWTs
 at a power level of 32.4 dBW on bore sight, after a 6 dB power back off.

A normal 75 cm dish TV should be enough for SSB communication,

For DATV that I want a bigger dish and more power is required.
But first RX,

Re: Es'hail 2 SpaceX launch with the first amateur radio payload to fly in geostationary orbit planned for today

What's its position going to be ?

Re: Es'hail 2 SpaceX launch with the first amateur radio payload to fly in geostationary orbit planned for today

It is at 26 east
Same position as the badr and Es'Hail-1
  https://www.eshailsat.qa/en/DynamicPages/channels

I'd expect it to take some of the Es'Hail-1 streams,
and I will likely wait until I can see the new FTA program streams
before adventuring looking for the ham sat
It will likely take a few days for that sat to be fully in position and operational.

There is a lot on 26 east!
 https://en.kingofsat.net/pos-26E.php

It is busy up there!
Good way to test you dish pointing.

There is some activity on the subject now in various groups:
 https://forum.batc.org.uk/viewforum.php?f10%1

Re: Es'hail 2 SpaceX launch with the first amateur radio payload to fly in geostationary orbit planned for today

Thanks !
Maybe some day in the next few years I can get over to Europe and work
this one. Pretty cool !

Re: Es'hail 2 SpaceX launch with the first amateur radio payload to fly in geostationary orbit planned for today

Hun?   Does that mean parallel to the Earth's rotation axis, or to the equator?
From geosynchronous orbit, 'horizon' is a circular, does it mean circular polarization?

Re: Es'hail 2 SpaceX launch with the first amateur radio payload to fly in geostationary orbit planned for today
That means "as seen from earth". One of the downlinks is vertical, the
other horizontal. Your SAT TV downconverter in the dish can do both on
10 GHz.

Uplinks are circular, (RHC IIRC)

cheers,
Gerhard

Re: Es'hail 2 SpaceX launch with the first amateur radio payload to fly in geostationary orbit planned for today

If you look at the horizon while standing up strait
then that horizon is horizontal.

If the sat was right above you head, confused you could be,
but horizontal is then defined as east to west.

From the northern hemisphere where I live, looking at the sats position
(it is at 26 degrees east of south BTW)
it will be about 26.87 degrees above that horizon,
and about 24.90 degrees east of pure south,
according to my sat calculator and dish controller:
 http://panteltje.com/panteltje/satellite/

Maybe this will help:
 https://wiki.batc.org.uk/images/1/17/Eshailsat_CAT16.pdf

Re: Es'hail 2 SpaceX launch with the first amateur radio payload to fly in geostationary orbit planned for today

For the hams they say go to dishpointer and select Eutelsat 25B, which is close by, to figure out if you can see it. It doesn't look like it illuminates anything farther west than Brazil.

Site Timeline