OT: Your weather? (*not* about GW)

Yep.

There exist rip-off test-your-house-for-Radon companies. Probably puts you on a list as well.

Most basements smell from mold/dampness, so benefit from circulation anyway. There's also a scam group in that business, selling over-priced fans ;-) ...Jim Thompson

[Radon test]

Yep, got to be careful, some even put official-looking seals on mailing envelopes. This one had a reputable *.gov web link in there AFAIR, but of course even that could be spoofed.

And then there's engineers who figure out how to do it on the cheap, with some chunks of pipe from the "plomeria" at Home Depot and a fan they have found in the junk box :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Yep. I need to do some of that myself. My office runs warmer than the rest of the house in summer, due to all the PC's.

First I thought I'd just add another A/C unit. Then I realized a simple exhaust fan at ceiling level (from office into great-room) will pull cool air in via my office door... a whole lot cheaper. ...Jim Thompson

I have the same problem. The new swamp cooler isn't big enough to reach the end of the house where the office is but I couldn't place a larger unit. Hardly a chance to add another cooler at the office because of obstacles. So maybe I need to goose the air flow a bit.

Theoretically I could mount one on the side of the garage and provide a metal duct through to the office. But I bet the fire marshall would have some beef with that because I'd have to go through the firewall between garage and house.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

There _are_ flameproof ducting devices. I found them once while contemplating venting the garage into the attic. ...Jim Thompson

I bet there are. But just like with power outlets, if the inspector doesn't know enough about that he'll flag it. And the inspector is da boss, usually. Once I wanted to install European wall outlets here at my lab, versions with UL rating. A friend who deals with inspectors a lot said "Don't!".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

A blue flame doesn't make CO, just CO2 and H2O. CO2 is heavier than air, so can accumulate in low spots, but CO is lighter than air, so as long as there's a vent up high, you're probably fairly safe.

In Korea, they use coal stoves outside the house, with an air jacket, and a proper chimney. The air jacket heats the air around it, and they pipe the warm air through ducts under the floor. It's awfully nice to go home with a "friend," traipsing through the snow (the climate is about like Minnesota), and you take off your shoes and sit on a floor that's at about 75F. :-)

I've decided that when I win the lottery and have a house built, I'm going to have nothing but heated floors for heat. And of course, a heat exchanger for ventilation air.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It certainly couldn't do any harm, other than to the pocketbook. ;-)

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it!

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Problem is, extreme concentrations of CO2 are not healthy either. That's why I believe that some forms of planned CO2 sequestration are rather daft ideas.

Then, you might fall asleep and the flames turn yellow-orange for some reason. The sleep will become deeper, and deeper, and deeper ... phut .. gone.

Ondol heaters, those are nice.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That's why you're supposed to save all those bits until *after* the inspection. :-)

My grandparents build a home in Florida in 1968, and my grandfather wanted a shower door that swung inward. This violated building code (the idea being that if someone has a problem and, e.g., faints in the shower, it's rather difficult to get to them if they're blocking the door, I believe), so the builder wouldn't mount it that way... but he did agree to simply leave it unattached from the shower frame until *after* the inspection -- at which point my grandfather screwed it on, the way he wanted. :-)

Reply to
Joel Koltner

[snip]

Ah, yes! I forgot you live in Californica... which means you might as well live in New York when it comes to regulation ;-)

Here I just go to the inspector's desk at City Hall and ask how to do it. They usually just draw me a sketch ;-) ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0 ...Jim Thompson

=A0 =A0| =A0 =A0mens =A0 =A0 |

=A0 | =A0 =A0 et =A0 =A0 =A0|

=A0|

=A0 =A0 =A0 |

CO is lighter than air.

Reply to
Richard Henry

ur

AIK

ver

ays

is

om

There are also legitimate radon test companies and equipment.

Reply to
Richard Henry

That wouldn't have been a problem but: I wanted clean 230V, not 240-260V like 2-phase is around here. So I planned on transformers, all medical grade, and a fixed installation. That could become a problem if you ever have to sell. You might have to rip it all out at that point.

So I opted for the less intrusive option. Built myself several huge transformers with nice enclosures, ran power strips from there. The outlets are underneath the desks and the cabling is in raceways, tucked away from sight so the WAF is sufficient.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Radon is inert and harmless per se. However, the fission daughter products are toxic and ionized at the moment of creation, and if the radon fission occurs in the lungs, there is virtually no chance that the daughters will be exhaled.

I'm surprised that an MIT graduate would be ignorant of or minimize these facts, unless he had a political ax to grind.

Reply to
Richard Henry

Right. Any radon atom that doesn't fission is harmless. Since it's not radon any more after it fissions, it follows that radon is harmless.

Thank you for enlightening us.

John

You wound your own 115V->230V kilowatt? or so transformer? Wow! That's pretty hard core!

Did you use power strips with European sockets too?

Reply to
Joel Koltner

That's true... and it also follows that leaping off of the roof of a

50-story building is a harmless activity :-(
Dave Platt

In my office, I tried several different things, but what really works is two fold: First, I have a fan that sits on the shelf in front of the door about 6 feet up that blows right down the hall to the thermostat and main return plenum. During the really hot months, I have a little evaporative cooler that I set in my bathroom doorway. I have to be careful with that one though, it gets too cold!

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

No, not on these. I had transformers scrapped from med gear. They are not allowed to re-use this stuff so it was either the dumpster or me. But I did wind quite a few transformers. You should see my wooden mallet, it has lots of scars from hammering the cores back together.

Yes, got several of those. Several bench areas here are dual-voltage,

120V outlets and 230V outlets. Plus an jig where I can test up to 300V for Australia and stuff like that, and also 400Hz designs.