Find Severe Weather That Could Affect Your Plans

There is a line of severe weather that extends across 3 states. 50,000 lightning strikes in the past 24 hrs (As of Tue May 21, 2019, 12:17 am)

Steve Wilson

On a sunny day (Tue, 21 May 2019 05:15:45 -0000 (UTC)) it happened John Doe wrote in :

I find the expanding circles annoying. For Europe I use this:

shows rain too and where it moves.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

is another one.

Reply to
Banders

That's cool.

This could affect some peoples' plans too, especially golfers.

It's 34.5 F at the cabin this instant, according to the RTD outside.

A few years ago, we had an outright blizzard in Truckee on Memorial Day.

lunatic fringe electronics

Thanks. With a storm this severe, I would expect the cloud tops to be above

60,000 feet, which is higher that airplanes can fly. If you look at flightradar24, you can sometimes see areas where no planes are flying. But in this case, I don't know enough about US geography to tell. You can check at

Flightradar24 uses ADSB receivers to locate the planes.

_broadcast

Reply to
Steve Wilson

On that site I saw one lightning strike in northern California. We very rarely get lightning here near the coast; we go years without seeing or hearing any. The power poles here do not have a high ground wire to take the strikes, like in most places.

I miss lightning. In New Orleans we got great thunderstorms.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

I'm not sure I hope you get your wish. That might mean severe weather that could do a lot of damage.

Reply to
Steve Wilson

Singapore has some amazing lightning shows! Pretty cool from 20th floor of a hotel, feels like it's all around you. Maybe it is!

Reply to
Bill Martin

Airplanes can fly higher than 60,000 feet , but not your commercial airplanes.

I did a quick check on line expecting to find the SR-71 or a F 104 holding the record. But found a NASA electric plane that flew over 96,000 feet in horizontal flight.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster