OT: Your weather? (*not* about GW)

First of all, this is not meant to be another thread about AGW. Around this time last year, I started a thread asking about the weather in other parts of the world and the replies made interesting reading. So this is essentially the same question: How has the weather been this winter (summer down under) and over the past 12 months?

Over here in my state in eastern India, the winter has been mild as it has been for over a decade. We had light rain a few days ago and, as is usual, it was followed by a cold spell. Last night was definitely the coldest of this season. I placed the thermometer outside on the front yard and it read 11.1 deg C (52 F) at 1:30 AM.

Last summer was also one of the mildest. We had an unusually long rainy season, with only 1-3 rainless days every now and then from mid-April to early November. But it was also unusual in that it caused less disruption to daily life than usual. This was because it generally rained in bursts of 5-30 minutes and cleared up again. There was almost none of the days-long thick overcast and drizzling that cause a lot of inconvenience in the monsoon season. Daytime temperatures stayed in the mid-20s C (mid-70s to low 80s F) most of the time and seldom hit 30.

Reply to
Pimpom

It's been wetter in eastern Australia than over the last decade, which has been regarded (whether rightly or wrongly is not really clear) as a drought, and particularly in the last month or so. There's a fair amount of river flooding causing a spot of bother, and a dozen or so fatalities (as known so far) caused mainly by a flash flood, though some by stupidity.

The media are doing their best to make it look worse than it is by focussing on parts of towns that are under water, but not showing the large parts that are not. I doubt that the lesson - don't build near rivers - will be learnt.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

In Australia, hot dry summer on the west coast. On the east coast 75% of the state of Queens land is currently UNDER water (yes in the middle of summer). Much of the state was on drought water restrictions until the rains.

For comparison Qld is three times the area of Texas.

Reply to
Dennis

This winter season is the first time where we have blown through 1/3rd of our firewood by Dec-31. Not good, considering the fact that we bought four cords (gradually creeping up from two cords in 2000). Here's hoping that we won't have many more of those long cold stretches this season. If we do then we'll have to ratchet up our firewood purchase to five cords for next season.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

For our brethren and sistren in the metric world, a "cord" of wood is a stack 4 feet wide by 4 feet high by 8 feet long, 128 cubic feet or about 3.5 cubic meters. Four cords of wood make one hell of a large pile.

I live about 50 miles north of Joerg and can get by easily on 2 cords of hardwood a winter, but then again, I probably have a house half as big as his (1800 ft^2)

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

Poor Joerg. I agree that's one helluva lot of wood to have to burn up in a season. Working in my den as usual, I've changed my usual light jacket for a medium one in this temporary cold spell. A bit chilly, but not really uncomfortable. It will warm up again in a couple of days. My wife though, is more sensitive and likes to stay in front of her kerosene heater at night - a rickety Chinese product that's quite effective. She prefers it to an electric heater. Once in bed, she's OK with a quilt and a blanket. Me, I share just the quilt.

Reply to
Pimpom

Plus we have single-pane windows although thick glass and they don't get very cold on the inside. However, we are a bit up in the hills and when they have 40F in Sacramento it's often 30F here, or around freezing. Thing is, about 10 years ago we could easily get by on two cords. Then it crept up to three, then four. And now that's looking like it ain't enough. Same inside temps BTW, around 68F on average. Lately we are often having trouble getting it there. Now I know I should not have believed the stove professionals when they said not to oversize the wood stove. Bigger _is_ actually better, IMHO.

Now where it gets interesting you end the story :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

1/2 cord satisfies our annual need for the romanticism of fire ;-) ...Jim Thompson

We put gas vent-less logs in our fireplace last March. They're great for heating up the great room, though our bedroom gets a lot colder (the thermostat is in between). I don't mind the cold in the bedroom because it makes for better sleeping. We went though 100 gallons of propane between March and New Years (not too much used in the summer ;-).

Odd. Kerosene stinks. We used one right after we bought our first house. We had a 14.5% mortgage and there wasn't any money left over for a while. Kerosene was horrible, but electric was out.

You sly dog! I'm _sure_ you're really put out, sharing body heat and all. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Many kerosene heaters do stink, I know. But not this one. Coincidentally, I did notice a smell a few days ago, but it turned out that the heater just needed cleaning. It's odorless again now. BTW, this is made purely as a room heater, not a stove and it uses about 1.5 l (0.4 gal.) of kerosene a night. When my wife bought it some 5 years ago for the equivalent of about US$80, I thought it was a bit steep, but she loves it and I guess that makes it a worthwhile investment.

Awww. I mean I can't stand the extra blanket - makes me sweat.

Reply to
Pimpom

:-D

Reply to
Pimpom

In this part of the eastern U.S., summer 2010 was a bit milder (cooler) than expected, winter is about normal (slightly cooler, so far). Yesterday the high was about 29=BAF/-2=BAC. The record high is 73=BAF= /

23=BAC. (That record was set in 1890.) Overnight low yesterday was 14=BAF/-10=BAC, 15=BAF below "normal.".

The previous winter (2009-2010) was about 10=BAF colder than normal and very cloudy; the summer before it (2009) was a bit warmer than normal (and 50% rainier).

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Be careful. CO2 and CO are dangerous, silent and odorless killers. Which is why we have alarms on both floors, just in case.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Thanks for the concern. The house is a drafty wood-and-tile affair with lots of chinks in the doors and windows, and each room has ventilation holes in the ceiling. Plenty of loft space with gaps all around. So I guess there's no real danger.

Might be a good idea to install them too. Just in case.

Reply to
Pimpom

I wouldn't be so sure. CO mixes with the air and lingers around. AFAIK

100ppm can already be dangerous. People have died from it in garages even though they were well vented.

Definitely.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

It stopped being romantic about the third year I cut, split, and stacked two cords of oak.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering

CO tends to collect at floor level until it mixes in with the ambient air, so floor level detectors, like Radon detectors, are the best. ...Jim Thompson

That's where we have them mounted, a foot or so above floor level. Never seen Radon detectors though but vaguely remember a flyer from some agency that they offer tests in the area. Of course, then there's always a concern that your house lands on some unspoken pariah list if Radon is found ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Though I was significantly involved ($$$ :-), along with ASU "scientists", in the development of Radon detectors, I think Radon is overblown to the point of hysteria.

You basically need a basement to be exposed to Radon in the first place. And its solution is as simple as adequate air circulation from basement floor level to outside to do away with the problem. No detector needed. ...Jim Thompson

Lemmee guess, someone landed a fat grant? ... :-)

Looks like that to me as well.

Detection would probably be good if it entices people to then provide such ventilation. Sometimes a little pipe with a slow fan would be the ticket I guess.

But like with everything, one has to be cautious about "secure" databases, mandatory disclosures and all that. The worst thing that can happen is a house that's deemed to be "on the list".