OT: You know you're old...

You know you're old...

When your son asks you to baby sit, so he can go to his 25th High School Reunion :-) ...Jim Thompson

-- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at

When the briefcase you got in college is older than your manger.

Reply to
Dennis

:-}

I received a leather briefcase as a high school graduation gift... still have it, 56 years later. ...Jim Thompson

Obviously NOT made in China, then!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

...when you *had* a briefcase in college.

Reply to
krw

Nope. And real leather. Brass fittings, only mildly tarnished after all these years. And then there's the green leather K&E slipstick case on a belt loop ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I need to do some math here. [My science background. :-)]

25 years + 18 yrs (est. age of son at graduation). = Son is at least 43 years old.

If father was 14 yrs. old when his son was born, that would make him at LEAST 67 yrs. old.

Enuf said. :-)

Take care, Andy

Reply to
Andy K

44 on March 5.

I was 30 when he was born... do the math ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Jim, I trust you are in good health. As the recent passing of Bob Pease and Jim Williams reminded me, there are a few 'tricks' to live to 95-100 in good health. First one is be a small Japanese woman who lives on rice and fish, and works in the sun all day. Failing that, drink red wine. jb jb

Reply to
haiticare2011

I don't think eating fish caught around Japan is going to do much for one's longevity since Fuckupishima. Try cycling and dark chocolate instead.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Knowing the devious ways of the free market, you might be eating that fish in your tuna sandwich. I haven't heard much about Fukushima recently - I know that it was out of control, but why the lame stream media blackout? Basically, the reactor was sinking into the ground as fire hoses tried to cool it, so gadzillion gallons of rad water were being dumped into the ocean. ??

Reply to
haiticare2011

2 things - being "small" increases the risk of cardio-vascular disease. Extra protection from red wine turns out to be a myth. It comes from "the French Paradox" - the French eat more saturated fats than the US and yet have lower amounts of heart disease. But the French have low levels of obesity and saturated fats that are consumed in beta metabolism cause few problems.

Longevity (in order):

Don't smoke Stay slim Exercise moderately Actively treat any medical condition that occurs Look after BP, Liver and kidneys

Reply to
David Eather

News to me. Got a reference to work that supports this claim?

Moderate drinkers do tend to live longer than teetotallers.

Part of the French paradox seems to be that the French have been eating a h igh fat diet and drinking quite a bit of wine for quite a long time.

France is fertile, and it has been efficiently farmed for quite a few gener ations. The French gene pool has had a chance to test which genes protect a gainst the diseases caused by over-consumption is a way that other - less f ortunate - national groups haven't been able to manage.

Most of the Frenchmen (and women) who would have gotten fat and burnt out t heir livers got edited out of the gene pool a few generations ago. Obesity and cirrhosis doesn't kill you before you can reproduce, but they are likel y to kill or at least disable you when you could have been helping your chi ldren look after their kids. It's a small selective effect, and takes a few generations to make a difference.

When young. If you make it past 65, the optimal BMI moves up to about 28, w hich isn't slim. Don't get fat.

Steer away from extreme sports. Don't drive fast cars when you are young. D on't own a gun - it's a fairly low risk, but the person most likely to be s hot by a a gun is the owner, and the most likely shooter is also the owner. Gun suicide is more frequently successful than most other forms of attempt ed suicide.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

You forgot the zeroth item on the list:

Choose grandparents wisely.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Some orchestra conductors and comedians seem to do will. (if they don't involve themselves in drugs and alcohol) Amazing how Mick Jagger is still bouncing around the stage. Mikek

amdx

It seems that it is natural for males to ignore health warnings. When I was having heart attack symptoms in 1998 (when I was 58) I fluffed them off for a week as "indigestion". When I finally had pains radiating down my right arm... only then did I hasten to the emergency room... where, surrounded by three doctors, I had the real deal, with instant clot buster injection. My latest exams this past month show no heart muscle damage whatsoever... knock on wood.

Now I watch my health very closely.

Most everyone thinks that heart attacks happen when you are old. Wrong. Most males die of heart attacks between the ages of 45-60 ...Jim Thompson

Extra protection from red wine turns out to be a myth. It comes from "the French Paradox" - the French eat more saturated fats than the US and yet have lower amounts of heart disease. But the French have low levels of obesity and saturated fats that are consumed in beta metabolism cause few problems.

$$$ Nice try, but I don't think that explains why only French alcoholics who drink red wine, not white wine, beer, or hard stuff - have the life extension effect.

Longevity (in order):

Don't smoke &&& That's good, but the "Nurses Study," a major study of lifestyle vs. mortality, showed that friendships were as important as smoking status. So yes, get off cigs, but get a social support network. And - the problem with blanket statenents about quitting smoking is many smokers CAN'T quit, since it is more addictive than heroin. "Let them eat cake," hardly addresses the real problem. Stay slim &&& that's good, too, but make sure your slim is not due to alcoholism or poor diet. Exercise moderately &&& exercise religiously every day. Again, few follow this advice. Actively treat any medical condition that occurs &&& That's actually a big subject. A prim idea to have your doctor manage your health care is a big mistake. Look after BP, Liver and kidneys &&& What you need to look after are the following: cardiovascular system, inflammation, brain, glucose levels. What you leave out is "HOW" to look after the critical systems. Knowing how is everything. There are two main was. First, take common sense preventive steps, like eating 7 vegetables a day, exercise you mention etc. Second, get a preventive assessment of your health status (really your disease status.) This consists of the following blood levels:

-Hb!ac

-CRP

-Homocysteine

-glucose

-PLAC test or coronary artery scan

-male and female blood tests

These tests indicate future problems with CVD, brain, cancer, arhtritis. If any of the levels are high, remedial action will prevent disease.

And - since few doctors do preventive medicine, don't expect your doctor will have a comprehensive view in mind about these. Doctors practicum is geared toward the year 1900, and don't expect them to help you preventively. It's a lot like what a good psychiatrist says: "I'm not here to cure you, that's your responsibility."

The Rx here - to avoid bad habits, eat right, exercise religiously, require an ability to sacrifice and bite the bullet that few people have. In sum, they require a person to do something called "habit change." There has to be a desire to change, and "This is for those who want it, not those who need it."

I myself enjoy living, primarily the experience of learning new things and exploring many areas of human endeavor, that I'd like to live to 120. At this point, 100 is possible, but the pace of research may uncover new things. Yes, there is no guarrantee I won't die tomorrow, but the desire to take care of my body increases the odds of success, so why not try?

Now, with respect to doctors, I would like to see how they fare on the Terman Concept Mastery Test, or the medical equivalent.

That's all. Few listen, but some do. jb

Reply to
haiticare2011

Oops.

Reply to
David Eather

???? Very few alcoholics are fat, and the French aren't noted for having a higher percentage of alcoholics than anyone else - so there is no way that can affect the stats

Reply to
David Eather

I'm not following you - red wine drinkers live 8 years longer, but not any other kind of drinker. Are you saying red wine drinkers are thinner than white wine drinkers?

I developed the process for extraction of grape seed OPC's , so am very familiar with the chemistry and history of this. But hey, a majority of health claims are bogus, so you hafta keep an open mind.

The OPC's are the most common class of organic compounds in plants after cellulose. They are anti-oxidants used by the plants to extinguish free radicals during capture of sun photons. Some OPC's: Pine bark, grape seed : various CV benefits blueberry OPC's - actually REVERSES brain aging in rats Pomegranate OPC's = REVERSES plaque in arteries in humans

... many others. The discoverer of vit C, Szent-Gyorgi, tried to have OPC's declared a vitamin (P), but the German chemists at the time did not like that the compound polymerized. (thus oligo-proanthocyanidins)

jb

Reply to
haiticare2011