Do you know this connector?

I was recently given an encoder to integrate into a design. The encoder has a male connector on it that is a frustratingly close mate for the Molex female housing 22012055:

(or

if you don't like line wrap)

What's missing is that where the housing I have has retention features right at the base, the encoder I'm trying to connect to has retention features that would engage a catch that's 8mm up the housing from the end.

Does this ring any bells for anyone? The manufacturer's US rep doesn't know the correct connector to use on this, and we haven't gotten an answer yet from the factory.

(One wants to shake one's vendors, sometimes, and ask them why the seem to be trying to drive away their potential customers. Don't they WANT to make sales?)

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Like these ?

TTman

That's a header, with friction lock, and it looks like the lock is about

3-4mm above the bottom.

I'm looking for a housing, with a hook lock like the mating connector to the Molex whose link I supplied, only higher up on the housing.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Probably a JST connector? NH series Or VH series.

Martin Riddle

No dice -- but thanks.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Not something like this?

Is it actually 2.54mm or could it be a 2.50mm?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

People are being astonishingly helpful, but they're off on paths that don't seem to be profitable. Clearly, my explanation is insufficient.

First, the encoder is a Dunkermotoren RE20 -- if you have one, you may just know the answer.

Second, Spehro asked if it could be 2.5mm -- it certainly could. I'm just measuring it with a ruler, and with only five pins it could mate up to a 2.54mm connector housing just peachy if the pins were on a 2.5mm pitch.

Third, here's a picture of the encoder with the connector I have plugged in, and just the hole in the housing:

usp=sharing

or

In the shot with the connector plugged in you can clearly see the retention feature on the encoder housing -- this is where the connector housing I have fails to match: it has a retention feature, but it doesn't engage the hook on the encoder housing until the contacts are already disengaged, so you can bump the thing and it comes out. What I have is useful in the lab, but isn't at all useful for a product.

I've been looking for something with ears just like the Molex connector I have -- that may be trying too hard. But I certainly need something with a ridge of some sort, at the distance I mention above: that's about the only way I can see that a connector would be retained by this housing.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

No and yes, respectively. See my reply to my original post -- it has more information, including well over 1000 words worth of picture.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

could it be that it is really made to match up with ridge on a connector, but instead to capture the back edge of a connector

something like this is about 8mm from front to back:

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

+25

It could be. That's why I posted the picture.

There's just too many connectors in the world. There ought to be a law or something.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

there are several different 2.54mm-pitch plugs that can be substituted fairly easily, your encoder appears to use a normal 2.54mm square-pin header internally and have the retention bracket moulded into the housing.

I've seen a 2.54mm pitch inline socket with a squeezeable retention clip that looks like the right family for that it was on the audio cable for a CD-RW drive, so, only 4 positions :( but it did have the clip. This PDF has vector drawings which can be zoomed

perhaps this one?

For a good time: install ntp

Jasen Betts

Huh. I see what you mean. Oh joy -- a whole new set of things to find out.

It's too bad I'm working through a customer on this. If I were talking straight to the factory rep I could just say "Oh, I'm sorry, if I don't know the number of the mating connector your whole encoder-motor-gearbox assembly is useless to us; we'll have to find someone else." That usually gets pretty prompt results -- and when it doesn't, you know that you just saved yourself truckloads of grief.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services