OT: Winmail.dat attachments in non-MS email software?

Man, that thing would give small children nightmares. Not to mention sensible grown-ups.

He could feed a whole African village for a year on what he paid for that dog's breakfast.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Now that's my kind of watch ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Hmm. Now why would someone want to pay the price of a nice car to wear something that ugly on his wrist? I wouldn't wear one on a bet.

Enquiring minds and all that.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I was just funning... If you back up thru the thread, my favorite watch is a $19.95 Timex. But I burn 'em up... the buttons only last a few years and I have to buy a new one... corrosive personality/skin eats the "stainless" back... actually a reaction to nickel by my body ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I've never even spent 35 k$ on a car, never mind a watch. That brings a new clarity to the phrase "disposable income".

Reply to
Ralph Barone

Not more than once, anyway. ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

To wear while you 'Drag' race? ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

As well as 'Overpaid fool'. My house was 35K when I bought it.

Michael A. Terrell

Once per wife? Or just once?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

That all depends on how good of a shot she is. ;-)

Michael A. Terrell

Still... I'm thinking of selling my home for this one...

So many dials..... gaaargle...

Chris.

Reply to
Chris

He would have to be ;-)

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

I quit wearing a watch Nov 7, 2001.

Michael A. Terrell

They are very different from Breitling, no knock-off. There's a Swiss movement in them, other than that they are American made AFAIK. I am happy with it but they did screw up the latch on mine a bit. It has two slightly protruding release buttons that want to burrow into your wrist, and I assume there's people who could not tolerate that.

My Chase-Durer was on sale via Costco online, that's when I pounced. Well under $300. That's sort of my limit when it comes to watches.

As for boat anchor lab gear I weaned myself off of that years ago unless I really need a box that can't be replaced by anything else. I found that many USB instruments give them a pretty good run for the money. Even 5c on the Dollar can't compete at times. Like a USB spectrum analyzer for around $1k, you can't really beat that. Or a USB-driven receiver for $600 that has found noise that professional EMC lab gear couldn't.

The exception are analog scopes. There you either got to have a Tek 7000 series or a 2465. DSOs just don't cut if for some jobs.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I routinely spend $60K for a car, but keep it 10-12 years. Huge, _fast_, very comfortable and able to squash a Prius on a single bounce. You gets what you pays for :-) ...Jim Thompson

Probably would be "once per wife" ;-) ...Jim Thompson

We've talked about that before. Your business includes schlepping test equipment all over the place to look for EMI, so small and light is a lot more important to you than performance. I'm at the other end of the scale--I'm far more concerned about the close-in phase noise of my spectrum analyzer than I am about its weight, since it'll probably move no more than 100 feet total in the time I'm likely to need it. So it's SignalHounds for you, and HP8568s for me.

Horses for courses.

Besides, it ain't years ago even for you. You keep on recommending HP

3485As, at 90 pounds or so. (I just bought a mildly broken one for $399 plus shipping--it flunks two diagnostics that both indicate that the 10 MHz reference level is too low, and the photo on eBay shows a smashed Bakelite U-link on the reference input. Seemed like a good bet.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I spend half as much, keep it nearly as long, but I do actively try to avoid crashing into other vehicles. I'm happy.

Reply to
Ralph Barone

That's right, if you need performance to almost the technological limits you may have to use older stuff. Although the Signalhound is not bad when connected to an external 10MHz master oscillator.

The 3585 is hands-down the best baseband analyzer there ever was. After that, they broke the mold so you can only buy them used.

OTOH, a lot has happened in the last few years and WRT analyzers my opinion is gradually changing. There are things you can do with the new computer-driven gear that are next to impossible with boat anchors. Including simple stuff, such as listening in via single-sideband demodulation. With very few exceptions boat anchors cannot do that.