OT: Winmail.dat attachments in non-MS email software?

Another fine mess from Microsoft...

I have been using Office Live Small Business for the last few years to host my website. At only $20 a year for domain and website, it was a good value. Now, of course, they are closing down the service. Their option is to move to a new service that looks like it will easily cost me $20 a month! I also have to basically manually recreate my entire website on their new service, and it doesn't include domain hosting!

So, my question. What web hosting services do ya'll use? I have seen ads for iPage, BlueHost, and several others, who look to be about $8 a month. Any preferences or folks you have especially liked? Any horror stories?

Thanks, Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

I use 1and1.com since many years. It's around $80/year including domain name fees. Excellent up time, has the usually extras such as FTP. They even give you a bonus if you win a new customer but I never bothered :-)

They also offer some sort of more expensive Microsoft package. But only over my dead body. I am staying with their classic hosting. I am sure there are cheaper deals out there but I do not want the hassle of a provider going belly up on me. That's also why I don't mind paying $30/mo to AT&T for 1.2Mbit/sec DSL. Because it always works.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I've been using

since 2004. ...Jim Thompson

though.

Frankly, I'm with you but their prices are very good, so it can be hard justifying an alternative. They clearly take care of the big customers (someone is obviously buying their stuff).

Reply to
krw

Sounds like the aim went a little higher, self knee-capping.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

It gets to be annoying at times. Yesterday I received an email which most likely contains a MS calendar sumpthin. All I can see in there is some GoToMeeting number and Friday, but not when.

Now that their software cake appears to crumble they start buying up lots of patents in hopes of milking those, it seems.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Joerg, You need to learn to roll with the punches. IIRC you have "Works". Install the calendar. When such a notification arrives, right-click, and it'll import into the calendar, where you can read it... and copy to a real calendar ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Eeuw. That sounds like the people with those Walkman type players when I was in school. Due to technological oversophistication they became unable to hear anyone else who wanted to talk to them. All they could hear was Jethro Tull or whatever. Then a major super-revolutionary technological breakthough came upon mankind: New and improved players had a "talk-through" button and a built-in microphone. People could actually communicate with their classmates. What a concept. Wow. Amazing ...

I keep it simple, using the Danish Time/System which still employs dead trees as storage devices. IIRC the guy who developed that in the 80's did so because his "office" was a phone booth. I use it almost since the days it came out.

This is a real calendar for business people:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I like reminder pop-ups, then I don't miss any conference calls or GoToMeeting or Skype conferences.

Having Works Calendar installed keeps me from berating clients when they send out automated meeting notices. Wasn't it you who suggested "kiss-up-to-the-client", instead of my normal harass their ignorance ?:-) ...Jim Thompson

No kissing up but yes, I do adjust to their habits. That does have its limits though, for example I absolutely will not switch to MS-Outlook.

I'll have to check out this Works calendar. Every PC here has Works because I use its database for bookkeeping. So far I've never tried the more fluffy parts of Works. All I know is that the last known good version for me is 6.0, the ones after had issues.

My reminder is the same kind of device I use for keeping project time logs: A kitchen timer, and from there hand entry into Works. One of the reasons is that I do EMC work where PCs have to be off. Except sometimes the well-shielded mil-style laptop but then that will run the spectrum analysis and no Works.

One thing I never understood: Why does none of these softwares have a built-in kitchen timer for project time logging? Besides consultants so many people need that, for example when setting stuff out for curing in the lab, or when mixing things.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I'm using just the calendar portion of v9.

I use...

It fails your criteria of being free and doing all things in one package.

Your original post was about handling winmail.dat attachments but, as usual, deviated into la la land. If you want to deal with winmail.dat you'll have to use the appropriate software. ...Jim Thompson

Oh, I use a lot of paid software. Including some expensive packages. But, quote "Use it to quickly record time and expenses, automatically generate invoices, track payments, record retainers and much more". That looks like an almost full-blown documentation and invoicing system. As I said, I have set that up nicely in MS-Works and it works well. All I need is a few stop watches on the screen, that's it. They should back up in case the power goes.

Wots wrong with that? Just a response to Joseph's post.

The winmail thing is over, they are now sending non-MS-centric attachments.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

that

Yep, It's a documentation generator. I use it mostly to affirm that I bid a job that makes more than minimum wage :-)

It keeps counting even during a power failure or reboot, by reading system time, which is WWV accurate... I use Socketwatch :-)

I would guess that there are stopwatches available for the PC, though I have a nice Seiko laying here on my desk.

...Jim Thompson

dice,

that

And the big poster stating the minimum wage for Thompson County taped to the back of the office door? :-)

For the road I have a nice Chase-Durer with stop watch in there. One of those All-American pilot's watches where the case is made from weapon grade metal of a B52 bomber. But while here I don't wear it, would get banged up too much in the lab.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I have a nice Omega that the wife bought me... I wear it when I leave the office... otherwise the stainless-steel-back Timex that keeps better time :-) ...Jim Thompson

Omegas are nice, I like their Seamaster. My regular work watch is from Guess, cost around $50 and has now lasted around 10 years. Good enough :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Interesting, I'd never heard of them. Kind of a Swiss-made knock-off of a Breitling, and really, really low cost by comparison. You're basically happy with it? I assume you could take out a bad guy or hammer in nails with it.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Buying a watch that costs more than $250 is a mug's game. I had a nice bulletproof stainless steel Seiko that I got for my 21st birthday and wore for 25 years. I had a very pretty Bulova for a bit, but gave it to my son when he went off to Africa for a year, and bought a titanium Seiko to replace it. All about $200 at the time. Thousands of dollars for a _watch_? I'd way rather have a spectrum analyzer or a nice green YAG laser, and besides, those are tax deductible.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I'd never spend that kind of money on a watch (Omega) myself, but you don't return a birthday gift from your wife :-) ...Jim Thompson

I think a sapphire crystal and Ti case are both worth it, but you don't have to spend $5-10K to get that, $1K should be enough. I know (socially!) a criminal lawyer who has a Hublot Genève 'Big Bang' watch. He was really pleased when I recognized it and asked about it.. it would suck to spend $35K on a watch and have nobody notice. ;-)