email protection in the list

Since I started posting to this list under my current adress, I am receivin tons of spam mails every day. I thought, the email was protected by the system but obviously is not. How can this be explained?

What could be done to protect the mail, but maintain to be reachable for serious questions?

Regularly changing mail adress ?

Reply to
fpgauser

This is a public newsgroup, not a closed mailing list you have to register for. All messages can even be searched with Google. Everything that's in these messages (including email addresses) might just as well be published on a website. There's no protection whatsoever.

That's one approach. I use email-addresses that change every month, but every human should be smart enough to construct the currently valid address. The scripts and bots that scan newsgroups for addresses aren't that clever (yet), so that works quite well.

Other people here only post their addresses in some sort of coded way, and use an invalid address as the From:-address. That means you can't just hit the reply-button, but have to manually put in the correct email-address.

Another way is to just put a link to a website in your posts, and if somewone wants to contact you, he/she needs to fill out a contact form on that website.

All depends on how much trouble you're willing to go through and how many hoops you want people to have to jump through to reach you.

cu, Sean

--
My email address is only valid until the end of the month.
Go figure what the address is going to be after that...

Also get thunderbird (it's free) and turn on the junk mail controls (they work well)

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler

Thanks Mike! will try this.