OT: Swamp cooler question

Sounds cumbersome. A good airconditioner (with high EER and COP ratings) which can also be used as a heater would make more sense.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

It really doesn't because it is not very eco-friendly. A heat pump or classic A/C eats several times the energy of a swamp cooler no matter how efficient it may be.

We have a fairly good A/C system here. Older, but for its day it is quite efficient. Slurps 7kW, many of the neighbor's units are a lot higher.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

smoked a 'compressor'?

I've usually heard them called 'reefers'.

mike

Reply to
m II

I expect that this is close to J C-S typical daily temp & humidity:

<JosephKK> quiettechblue

Yes, close. I just wonder if those humidity readings are all that accurate.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Why wouldn't they be?

Reply to
krw

Not in his joint.

Reply to
krw

One way to tell. Get in the pool. Get out of the pool. If you're chilly or cold (as in AZ) you're good to go. If you're not chilly, forget it. ...Jim Thompson

Obama thinks the term "bully pulpit" actually means "pulpit bully"

Did he hookah it up?

tm

They look a wee bit jumpy and all those days we didn't have any clouds rolling through. But I have learned that weather logs and forecasts out here are to be taken with a grain of salt. For example, as usual the news guys predicted a nighttime cool-off to around 61F. Wife and I looked at each other ... "That's baloney". Sure enough it didn't even go to 70F and the house didn't cool off at all. Like usual.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Right now the pool is at a whopping 86F. No way I'd ever feel chilly getting out of the pool at those temps.

I am going to ask a few more people with swamp coolers (not many that I know) before cutting a hole into the house :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

You need to pay attention, Joerg... I didn't ask your _opinion_, I asked you to experiment. If there's no chill, the cooler won't work for you. Here in AZ you can damned near feel like you're freezing when you exit the pool. In FL you feel nothing :-)

...Jim Thompson

               Friday is Wine and Cheeseburger Day

As for humidity - relative humidity usually varies inversely with temperature as the day goes on. What is usually steadier is the dew point.

If the dew point makes a major change that is usually a sign if a front passing overhead, or the wind changing direction so as to change whether or not it comes from a major body of water. Also, the dew point may drop a little during midday as convection brings down drier air from thousands of feet up.

As for nighttime low temperatures - that varies widely with location even within a general metropolitan area. Urban heat islands tend to cool more slowly than more rural areas. Lower plains tend to cool more than slopes and hilltops a few hundred to a thousand or two feet up. Bare ground tends to cool more than forest. Airports tend to have low thermal mass and cool more quickly than nearby built-up suburbs. A lot of official weather stations are at airports.

(Although Sky Harbor airport in Phoenix seems to get urban hot nights.)

Don Klipstein

Joerg may have a point. The dew point in that chart was had 20 minute variations of 5F.

Reply to
krw

It sure doesn't look normal for this location, not this time of the year. The only time you get such wild swings in summer is when the Delta breeze (from the Pacific) rolls in but that hasn't happened in more than a week now.

Thing is, the forecasts are made for specific locations, like "Foothills east of Placerville" which is where we are. It's not urban at all. I pretty much stopped paying attention to forecasts because they are often so far off.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

taken

I did that experiment every single evening the last week, and will again tonight. -> No chill. My wife is of different opinion, she sometimes said "Let's sit in the sun now". So the score is at around 7:7 ...

I've heard a few people say that swamp coolers work out here. However, they live outside the little village. One lives inside but hasn't returned my voice mail yet. We'll see.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

taken

If you got no chill I wouldn't waste my money. Evaporative coolers are for places like Arizona, El Centro/Blythe/Indio California, southern Nevada, southern New Mexico, and some places in Texas.

Everywhere else they're only for suckers :-) ...Jim Thompson

taken

accurate.

Well, just completed the last cannonball and stepped out of the pool for test # 8. Same thing: No chill for me, my wife says she definitely got one and she had the goose bumps to prove it.

OTOH I am not known to get cold. Once teh way home from a hike a friend passed us in his car. Later he said when he saw me he turned the heater in his car higher. It was a balmy 40F or so and I wore a T-shirt :-)

Well, if it doesn't work I guess it can double as a whole-house fan. The regular ones that suck pollen, dust and so on into the house are a rather sick concept, this one can filter the air.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

taken

accurate.

Just went to IKEA looking for shelving. They must be using a cooler. Balmy and terrible, right here in desert land. ...Jim Thompson

Not true! You feel wet! :)

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell