OT: Stuxnet worm hit industrial PLC systems

Stuxnet worm hits industrial PLC systems:

SO, if you use Siemens PLCs connected to PCs in an industrial setup, this may concern you.

It creates an extremely dangerous situation, long predicted to happen of course, but here now.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Anybody who uses Windows for industrial control is crazy. If they also connect it to the Internet, they are criminal as well.

Given the outrageous state of current OSs, mission-critical systems shouldn't be connected to the internet at all. One could use a throw-away computer to connect to the internet, and let that talk to the control machine through, say, a serial link that is absolutely wormproof.

John

course,

There's the little uc-based bone-simple web servers. Those ought to be fairly safe because they do not really use an OS.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

course,

Siemens is a European based company?

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

course,

Yeah, things like the Lantronix ethernet-to-serial bricks.

John

On a sunny day (Thu, 16 Sep 2010 12:31:14 -0400) it happened "Michael A. Terrell" wrote in :

course,

Germany based, but used all over the world. Zillions of factories and industrial complexes, chemical plants, etc, use Siemens PLCs. Often connected to a PC. It is sort of a standard. I have worked with those, cannot imagine what could not blow up if some pump or valve was programmed wrong.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

course,

Siemens PLCs.

Old rule, and the SCADA stuff I used emphasized that over and over again in the manuals: Never, ever, rely on the computer when it comes to handling potentially critical conditions. There has to be some real hardware as protection. Like a pressure switch and a relay. Always.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

_h...

of course,

Siemens PLCs.

If you had any brains, you would also be aware of the way such systems are constructed.

Damn! Where is the switch to throw that causes all the stupid dolts in the world to "blow up"?

The world should begin taking Soylent Green volunteers. The sharks surrounding the New Devil's Island need occasional feeding to keep them interested in surrounding the prison, waiting for fresh meat to enter the water.

Reply to
WallyWallWhackr

On a sunny day (Thu, 16 Sep 2010 10:01:50 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

course,

Siemens PLCs.

Do you actually know the difference between a PLC and a PC?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

course,

From the article: "Called Stuxnet, the worm was discovered in July when researchers at VirusBlokAda found it on computers in Iran."

Sounds like the US is trying what the Chinese were trying.

Couldn't happen in a better place.

hamilton

On a sunny day (Thu, 16 Sep 2010 11:24:44 -0600) it happened hamilton wrote in :

course,

Looks like China is remote controlling the whitehouse, they can make Geithner say whatever they want him to say.

Jan Panteltje

A.

rm_h...

n of course,

use Siemens PLCs.

WallyWallWhackr

A.

rm_h...

n of course,

use Siemens PLCs.

Presumptuous fucktard.

Reply to
WallyWallWhackr

Windows isn't directly in the control loop here -- it's the PLCs that are doing the actual industrial control, and then (Siemens') software on a Windows box is just configuring the PLCs, collecting data, etc.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Do you? Or for that matter that there are PC based PLCs? I recently repaired a pipe bender controlled by a Yaskawa F7 which is programmed to control the machine. As usual, it was screwed up by the wire pullers who didn't pay attention to what they were doing. They installed a 240 V outlet, and wired the other end for 120 V. In addition to correcting the wiring, I added a boost transformer to raise the 208 to 245 volts. It works better than it ever did at the previous location.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

course,

So, it's another fine example of 'European engineering'?

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On a sunny day (Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:24:12 -0400) it happened "Michael A. Terrell" wrote in :

course,

Nothing to do with that, it is a virus that comes into the US made Microsoft PC, and from there reconfigures the PLC. So it is all YOUR fault obviously. :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

course,

PC,

Bullshit. I NEVER connect machine controls to the outside world, other than to the AC power grid. Connecting a tol to the internet is something done by losers.

enough left over to pay them.
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

On a sunny day (Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:56:34 -0400) it happened "Michael A. Terrell" wrote in :

of course,

PC,

In your pants.

Apart from the fact that that grid has been hacked too in the US, the article mentions that thing came in via USB sticks. Try reading it.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

PS I did a realy big industrial thing, with PC as user interface. We went there one day to put in some new software, and when we [unexpectedly] entered the control room they were playing some game on that PC. How did it get on there? hehe

Reply to
Jan Panteltje