Alcoholic beverages create superconduction in FeTe1-xSx at +70 °Celcius

So, i was sort of thinking if I cannot get to 80 K, maybe... then I found this:

This is not typo, at least not mine, Celcius: Wine creates superconduction in FeTe1-xSx at +70 °Celcius:

PS, maybe I found a cheap way to get to for 80 K.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I'm sure it was after hours when the acidenally dropped the sample in their beer ;-) MikeK

Reply to
amdx

On a sunny day (Thu, 16 Sep 2010 12:54:25 -0500) it happened "amdx" wrote in :

Yes, I also thought 'how did they figure that out?'. And then put the warm beer in the microwave? LOL I am sure they are VERY much into that sort of experiments. :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

YUCK.

Anything with tellurium in it is somewhere between awful (the "garlic smell" inducing property of Te) and deadly!

Tim

Tim Williams

I can't help but wonder if the wine just created the perception of high temp superconductivity in the minds of the researchers. Art

Reply to
Artemus

On a sunny day (Thu, 16 Sep 2010 14:09:21 -0700) it happened "Artemus" wrote in :

Yes, possible. Except it also stated 'occasional superconduction in air'. So the stuff is already close to it without alcohol, or whatever is in red wine. Superconducting grapes? I am not sure, but in my view Cooper pairs can form if the atomic vibration in the material gets low enough. Adding all sorts of substances creates different chemical bonds. Although the motion is nearly random, it probably has a frequency spectrum with preferred components for each material. Maybe in the right combination those ingredients can create some damping. That would mean normal room temperature superconductors are just a matter of selecting the right ingredients. This discovery (70°C) changes the whole landscape if it is reproducible. Looking for a nice high-Q inductor? Low losses? I will heat up and enter superconduction, then you have to keep it hot :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I think the Japanese translator mixed a recepy for Terryaki with a scientific article and quit his/her job after that. BTW, IIRC alcohol evaporates at 36°Celcius.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

On a sunny day (Thu, 16 Sep 2010 22:22:35 GMT) it happened snipped-for-privacy@puntnl.niks (Nico Coesel) wrote in :

Yes, that explains why thse drinks behave differenctly :-)

Don't you want a lossless-transformer? Imagine, it heats up because of losses, then at 70 °C its lossed drop suddenly, and it cools of, sort of an automatic 70 °C thermostat, bang - bang superconductor stabiliser. If it works I gotta get some of that stuff.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje