OT: Print over multiple pages in Acrobat Reader?

In the pdf, why can't you just zoom into what you are interested in, do a Select Image from the toolbar, copy your point of interest, open up a simple graphic program like Windows Paint, paste then print from that.

Cheers.

Reply to
PT

I think you might be better off with GhostView. Paint Shop pro, for instance, truly sucks when it comes to zooming anything.

You might also try zooming in the PDF itself, which seems to work well with direct-creation PDF's, then use a screen capture program. I don't know for sure if this would help or not.

I know that PostScript stuff created from Cadence is the truest of all garbage. I usually request a netlist whenever I get those sort of schematics, because trying to read the text is futile :-(

...Jim Thompson

[snip]
[snip]

I just tried zooming WAY in, using Acrobat, ctrl-PrintScreen, ctrl-V into PaintShopPro, printed with an hp1320, EXCELLENT results!

...Jim Thompson

Hello PT,

I just tried it a few times now and always lost so much resolution that the details weren't readable in the graphics program anymore. But it's an idea and I'll try some more.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

simple

Interesting. I assume you are using the Snapshot Tool in Adobe Reader to copy - if the resolution is poor, is it a photograph or a drawing that has been inserted into the document that you are having trouble with.

Cheers.

Reply to
PT

Hello PT,

No, it's a schematic that the layouter sent back PDF. Wish it was a better file format like TIFF. I find this whole pdf business rather cumbersome, tends to get in the way.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Jim,

Tried that, plus selecting a box and then copy, plus some other copy stuff. None worked. Won't paste.

But I also have a serious "handicap". I am a logic/text thinker so I have a very hard time figuring out what all those silly little icons mean. I never have problems using DOS programs in all kinds of foreign languages as long as it is text. Compared to DOS this newfangled GUI Windows stuff is the pits.

XP is way worse, it feels like something designed for a 5-year old. Like walking into a candy store. I finally figured out how to crush that last stupid "alert bubble" that kept coming up on the lab computer. Of course that meant turning off McAfee because it squeals when you just turn off automatic Windows update. What a ..... no, I am not going to say it.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Jim,

Next thing I want to try out is Irfanview. IIRC John Larkin recommended it to me once. So far I am using three image programs and sometimes I have to go through all three because they all lack some feature. Or their GUI is too messed up.

It's from OrCad. Because the layouter can't read Eagle he has to re-draw the schematic so he can document the back annotation and gate swapping.

I found TIFF to be a pretty efficient format. That is what I use for clients who can't read in my CAD files. Actually even Word isn't all that bad when importing parts of the schematic into a module spec. I wish we didn't have to deal with proprietary stuff like PDF and people would limit themselves to formats that every office program and every web browser can display. But I guess then life would become too easy.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

There are a couple of ways to do this, both involving using the graphics selection tool in Reader.

Method 1:

  1. Select the "graphics" tool by pressing "g".
  2. Select the region of the page that you want to print.
  3. Open the print dialog (ctrl-P) and set "Expand small images to paper size" and "Auto-rotate and center".
  4. Click OK.

Method 2:

  1. Select the "graphics" tool by pressing "g".
  2. Zoom out until the full page is visible (ctrl-0).
  3. Select the region of the page that you want to print.
  4. Zoom in the maximum possible (1600%)
  5. Copy the graphic using ctrl-C. If you get an "Out of memory" error, zoom out one step and try again.
  6. Paste the graphics into some other tool. MS Word and MS Photo Editor both work.
  7. Print.

I have used both methods and they always seem to work for me. Method 1 is documented in the online help, but I only discovered by accident because "I don't need to read no stinkin' documentation". :(

Note that I use Reader 5.1.0 (can't stand newer versions) so I can't say if it will work on later versions. I also usually print to a new PDF file using the PDF Creator print driver but I don't remember having any problems with other drivers.

Something else that's unexpected but pretty cool: If you print to a PDF using PDF Creator and method 1, the resulting PDF is a normal (metafile?) PDF, not just an embedded graphic.

Marmot Engineering . . . . . . .  VHDL, ASICs, FPGAs, embedded systems
Vancouver, BC, Canada  . . . . . . . . . . . http://www.marmot-eng.com
Reply to
Tim Hubberstey

... and rearranged the desk ever so slightly.

Yeah, Dante missed talking about which circle of H*ll was reserved for those people.

Reply to
Kevin G. Rhoads