Newsgroup reader

Can anyone suggest a sensible newsgroup reader and free feed ? I currently use eternal september and thunderbird but I'm having trouble migrating to a new machine. It's asking for logins/ pwds which have long since been forgotten. Ta

TTman

Been using this since 1998 or so when I wrote it:

Bit like free agent, but then for Linux, with my own view added. Never understood why people even want to use something else.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

Sorry, I need windows platform...

TTman

Sorted. At last.

Reply to
TTman

In Thunderbirdie, go to: Tools -> Options -> Security -> Passwords -> Saved Passwords -> Show Passwords and your long forgotten logins and passwords might re-appear if you saved them for automatic login.

As to which newsreader to use, go through a newsgroup and look at the Newsgroup line in the article headers. You'll soon see what people actually use for news readers.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Yeah, I was there. Had some trouble with Tbird for some years but it basic ally worked, then it totally crapped out. Tried Seamonkey which uses the s ame code base from long ago so is pretty compatible. That had small proble m after small problem even if you could get adequate support. When I switc hed from a really crappy Win 8 machine from Lenovo to a not so bad machine with Win 10 I didn't want to bring either Tbird or Seamonkey with me, so I switched to Google Groups.

GG is not so bad really. I'm not doing anything fancy and don't really car e so much about fancy features. I get on GG from *any* machine. I read po sts. I sometimes reply and life is ok if not especially good.

I worry about "especially good" when I am drinking wine or eating dark choc olate or even better, both. I remember the first time a winery served Dove dark chocolate with a rich, red wine and my entire life stepped up a notch .

With newsgroups I don't get the same great feeling so I don't worry so much about optimizing it.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Hard to believe so many people are still using Windows. I didn't see your newsreader referenced in your headers, Jan. A curious omission to make when you authored it yourself?

Cursitor Doom

hehe

panteltje12: ~ # NewsFleX -h Usage: NewsFleX [-d] [-h] [-shared] -d send debug output to console. -i do not send NewsFleX ID in headers.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

I just posted a question about porting a program from Windows to Linux and it was suggested I should run both at the same time... lol Obviously a lot of people don't feel Linux is the answer... depending on the question I suppose.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Is this an RS-232 adapter chip of some sort? What does it do that existing modules can't do?

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Fair enough. I wasn't suggesting it was an ego trip, though!

I'm going to be publishing some pictures of this repair I did on a Tek scope that just goes beyond awful. A lot of posters will stop speaking to me as a result of seeing my soldering skills (which have not improved one iota over the last 50 years) but it's a chance I'm prepared to take.

Cursitor Doom

Really ? That's my bread and butter...

TTman

Na, it is a LMX2332, so not a MAX232 serial thingy. It will divide my Rubidium 10 MHz reference by 10 to get 1 MHz, and also divide a voltage controlled crystal oscillator at 24 MHz (or 25) to 1 MHz and then compare the two 1 MHz signals and use that to lock that crystal oscillator, making a Rubidium controlled 24 MHz (or 25). That in turn will be the reference frequency for my LNB, the 25 MHz (or 24) is then multiplied by For a 24 MHz xtal: LO1 = 24 * 390 = 9360 MHz LO2 = 24 * 426 = 10224 MHz to form the local oscillator for the LNB down converter to receive the Eshail2 ham satellite Eshail2: 10498.675 MHz horizontal

Downlink: Narrow band 10489.55 to 10489.8 MHz center 10489.675 MHz Wide band 10491 to 10499 MHz center 10495 MHz

resulting in a IF frequency of:

IF LOW side 10489.55 - 9360 = 1129.55 MHz 1,129,550,000 in IF band RTL-SDR lock High side 10499 - 9360 = 1139 MHz 1,139,000,000 in IF band

start narrow band 10489.55 - 9360 = 1,129,550,000 Hz center narrow band 10489.675 - 9360 = 1,129,675,000 Hz end narrow band 10489.8 - 9360 = 1,129,800,000 Hz

start wideband 10491 - 9360 = 1,131,000,000 Hz center wideband 10495 - 9360 = 1,135,000,000 Hz end wide band 10499 - 9360 = 1,139,000,000 Hz

that then will be fed for narrow band into an RTL-SDR stick, and for wideband into my PC satellite DTV card.

Or something like that. Sat is not up there yet (I think, but spaceX already has it) so not in a hurry.

When PLL to 25 MHz I can just use it to view regular sat TV, in the picture above the original

25 MHz is glued to the side of the LNB to test if the modification did not kill it. Very tricky to solder on that board, tracks just come off. So there will be an external 24 MHz or 25 MHz reference input to that LNB, 2 cables to it.

At least that is the planning.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

Cursitor Doom wrote

Cool, as long as it works it is OK.

I use some very strong glasses from the drugstore to solder those tiny things. With a 'third hand with magnifying glass' you get no depth perception.

Reply to
<698839253X6D445TD

At home I use Knode, available at least on Linux. It seems to be a dead project. At work, I got a new PC recently, and I use Pan on Linux there. I kind of like Knode better, but Pan works well enough. I think some of these may be available on Windows, too.

I am using GigaNews as my news server, but I do have to pay US $7.99 a month for that. I was not real impressed with some of the free servers I tried before GigaNews.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Until you have used a stereo-zoom microscope with enough working distance to get your hands tweezers and a soldering iron under it, you just don't know what you are missing. I use an old Olympus at home, and have a newer Chinese one at work, just couldn't do ANYTHING small without them. I regularly work on 0.5mm pitch FPGAs, and have done 0.4mm pitch chips.

A ring light that doesn't cut into the working distance is also very important. I made my own with a piece of PC board and some LEDs.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Some programs do not run properly under emulation environments like Wine. I have used VMWare in the past, and now use VirtualBox to run both at once. They really integrate both OS's and you can switch back and forth easily. I use Linux as the main OS, Windows as the guest. One trick I do is make the user directory be shared across on the Linux system, so I can see the Windows user files directly in Linux.

I use Windows to run Protel EDA software and the tax program. Otherwise, I have moved everything over to Linux. So, I run the Xilinx FPGA suite under Linux, and do programming and spreadsheet stuff there, too.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

You should be able to go to the login page for eternal September and click on the I've forgotten my password link. I expect there is some way to export your settings from one copy of Tbird to another. I have always taken the opportunity of moving PC to spring clean legacy groups out.

I use the free AIOE service which is fine provided you don't post too much or want to read a few highly controversial groups. It is fine as a backup server even if you have another provider.

uk.rec.gardening ended up on its postings banned list once for a while and for reasons that completely escape me.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Absolutely. And it doesn't necessarily need a zoom facility. Some types have interchangeable lenses and a high quality stereoscope with decent illumination is a huge improvement over anything else I've tried.

I've been using a point source of light which I thought was pretty good until I saw a ring light version - *vastly* superior.

Cursitor Doom

Zoom is quite necessary because you never know how big a field of view you're going to need. Looking closely at a small SMD device benefits form high magnification, while searching around a PCB looking for water damage, bad soldering, or volcanic component eruptions, requires a much wider field. Interchangeable eyepieces are also handy. I mostly use 10x wide field eyepieces, but do have 20x and 5x if needed. Depth of field decreases as magnification increases. The image might not be in focus if you use too much magnification.

Also, a USB camera is very useful for displaying on an LCD display or saving photos. In that case, I suggest a trinocular microscope. Make sure the USB camera has a 0.5X lens so that you can use the entire field of view.

I use an Olympus SZ30 for PCB work at the office: and various Bausch and Lomb microscopes at home for picking splinters out of my skin, trimming fingernails, sharpening knives, reading the fine print on contracts, and other items of importance.

More of my collection:

I have two of these. but all too often find myself using my pocket LED flashlight for temporarily illumination.