Yellow Pages

I'm finding the YP next to useless these days. It throws up way too many entries from all over the place, regardless of how specific the search term is. Are they trying to appear more relevant?.. as in able to find more entries likely to be of interest.. in fear of the increasing use of Google for searches? If so then it's having the opposite effect.

--
rgds,

Pete
-------
election results explained: http://ausnet.info/pics/labor_wins2.jpg
?People sleep peacefully in their beds only because rough
men stand ready to do violence on their behalf?
Reply to
felix_unger

felix_unger wrote

I just used it today for the address of a place that didn?t show up properly in maps.google or the apple mapper.

I got the YP entry using google on the operation's name.

Or trying to be more useful...

Not if you use google to get their entry.

Reply to
Rod Speed

They're trying to please people who don't care about specific results, many search engines are going like that.

Reply to
hislop

hislop wrote

They have always attempted to provide a useful service.

YP isnt a search engine.

Reply to
Rod Speed

how is it more useful if I enter a suburb and get listings from all over melbourne and am not able to confine the results to that suburb? and don't try to tell me I can since I've tried all ways

--
rgds,

Pete
-------
election results explained: http://ausnet.info/pics/labor_wins2.jpg
?People sleep peacefully in their beds only because rough
men stand ready to do violence on their behalf?
Reply to
felix_unger

felix_unger wrote

Not everyone wants to do that.

There are other ways to search for stuff that?s within some specified radius of your current location. That?s much more useful than by suburb.

Reply to
Rod Speed

The users pay for the searches, that is why there are so many.

SolomonW